(ABINGTON, MA) You're invited to "come together with fellow Moon enthusiasts and curious people worldwide" on the night of Saturday, October 1st to celebrate International Observe the Moon Night at Reilly Field! This event is open to all ages and hopes to inspire others to explore the sky, and specifically, the moon!
Why Observe the Moon Now?
According to NASA, the "International Observe the Moon Night occurs annually in September or October, when the Moon is around first quarter" which is a "great phase for evening observing."
"A first-quarter Moon offers excellent viewing opportunities along the terminator (the line between night and day), where shadows enhance the Moon’s cratered landscape." - NASA
Goals of International Observe the Moon Night
According to NASA, this annual event that takes place across the globe has specific goals that the virtual, in-person, and at-home activities provided by the government organization is working towards achieving. These goals are as follows:
- Unite people across the globe in a celebration of lunar observation, science, and exploration.
- Provide information, a platform, and resources in order to:
- Raise awareness of NASA’s lunar science and exploration programs.
- Empower people to learn more about the Moon and space science and exploration, using Earth’s Moon as an accessible entry point.
- Facilitate sharing of Moon-inspired stories, images, artwork, and more.
- Inspire continued observation of the Moon, the sky, and the world around us.
- Support all people who are interested in learning more about, and connecting to, the Moon.
What's Happening at Reilly Feild?
The Abington Public Library has announced that they are "once again pleased to be hosting this international event at Reilly Field." This event hosted at a local community park will include "The South Shore Astronomical Society members" who will "once again bring their telescopes and equipment for a night time viewing of the moon, and whatever other treasures are out that night."
The event details encourage everyone to attend, explaining that "this event is really for all ages."
International Observe the Moon Night Event Details
- WHERE: John B. Reilly Field (699 Gliniewicz Way, Abington, MA 02351)
- WHEN: Saturday, October 1, 2022
- TIME: 7 PM - 9 PM
- COST: Free
- RAIN DATE: Sunday, October 2, 2022