Massachusetts, officially the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, is the most populous state in the New England region of the United States. It borders on the Atlantic Ocean to the east, Connecticut to the southwest and Rhode Island to the southeast, New Hampshire to the northeast, Vermont to the northwest, and New York to the west.
The capital of Massachusetts is Boston, which is also the most populous city in New England. It is home to the Greater Boston metropolitan area, a region influential upon American history, academia, and industry. Originally dependent on agriculture, fishing, and trade, Massachusetts was transformed into a manufacturing center during the Industrial Revolution.
During the 20th century, Massachusetts's economy shifted from manufacturing to services. Modern Massachusetts is a global leader in biotechnology, engineering, higher education, finance, and maritime trade.
The Proposal (2009)
For three years, Andrew Paxton has slaved as the assistant to Margaret Tate, a hard-driving editor at a New York publisher. When Margaret, a Canadian, faces deportation for an expired visa, she hatches a scheme to marry Andrew - he agrees if she'll promise a promotion. A skeptical INS agent vows to test the couple about each other the next Monday. Andrew had plans to fly home that weekend for his grandma's 90th, so Margaret goes with him - to Sitka, Alaska - where mom, dad, and grams await. Family dynamics take over: tensions between dad and Andrew, an ex-girlfriend, Andrew's dislike of Margaret, and her past color the next few days, with the INS ready to charge Andrew with fraud.
Filming locations in Massachusetts
- Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, USA
- Bearskin Neck, Rockport, Massachusetts, USA
- Rockport, Massachusetts, USA
- Gloucester, Massachusetts, USA
- Beverly Municipal Airport - 46 L.P. Henderson Road, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA
- Myopia Hunt Club - 435 Bay Road, South Hamilton, Massachusetts, USA
- 225 Franklin Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Little Women (2019)
In the years after the Civil War, Jo March (Saoirse Ronan) lives in New York City and makes her living as a writer, while her sister Amy March (Florence Pugh) studies painting in Paris. Amy has a chance encounter with Theodore "Laurie" Laurence (Timothée Chalamet), a childhood crush who proposed to Jo, but was ultimately rejected. Their oldest sibling, Meg March (Emma Watson), is married to a schoolteacher, while shy sister Beth (Eliza Scanlen) develops a devastating illness that brings the family back together.
Filming locations in Massachusetts:
- Concord, Massachusetts, USA
- Harvard, Massachusetts, USA
- Gibbet Hill, Groton, Massachusetts, USA
- Crane Beach, Ipswich, Massachusetts, USA
- Castle Hill, Ipswich, Massachusetts, USA
- Eleanor Cabot Bradley Estate, Canton, Massachusetts, USA
- Stoughton, Massachusetts, USA
- Fruitlands Museum, Harvard, Massachusetts, USA
- Lawrence, Massachusetts, USA
- William Hickling Prescott House, 55 Beacon Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Gibson House, Beacon Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Lyman Estate, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
- Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Thayer Estate, Lancaster Massachusetts, USA
- Franklin, Massachusetts, USA
The Finest Hours (2016)
In February of 1952, one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast struck New England, damaging an oil tanker off the coast of Cape Cod and literally ripping it in half. On a small lifeboat faced with frigid temperatures and 70-foot high waves, four members of the Coast Guard set out to rescue more than 30 stranded sailors trapped aboard the rapidly sinking vessel.
Filming locations in Massachusetts:
- Chatham, Massachusetts, USA
- Quincy, Massachusetts, USA
- Cohasset, Massachusetts, USA
- Marshfield, Massachusetts, USA
- Fore River Shipyard, Quincy, Massachusetts, USA
- Powder Point Bridge, Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA
- Norwell, Massachusetts, USA