Photo by Jannis Brandt on Unsplash
A couple of months ago my girlfriend cooked a delicious dinner and topped the meal off with smoothie bowls. As someone who doesn’t experiment with new foods often, I’d never heard of a ‘smoothie bowl’ before. With just a few ingredients, she whipped up a delicious, healthy dessert that satisfied my sweet tooth and didn’t leave me regretful after.
“Five ingredients…that’s it?”
As an athlete who is constantly searching for healthy alternatives to my favorite not-so-healthy treats, I was hooked. I had to give it try for myself.
While it tastes a bit different than traditional ice cream, it’s 10x healthier and left with a satisfied sweeth-tooth and zero regret after eating it.
After a couple of attempts, I finally perfected the recipe. I changed a couple of ingredients to thicken it up (to closely match the texture of ice cream) and made it a bit more protein-dense. The recipe is quick, simple, and a great way to end the day. Here’s how to make it…
Actual photo of the ‘ice cream’ I made using this recipe.
- 4 medium-sized strawberries (frozen)
- 1/2 medium-sized banana (frozen)
- 1 scoop of protein powder of choice (the recipe still works without it but this is what allows you to choose your ice cream ‘flavor’)
- 1/3 cup of water or milk of choice (I prefer almond milk)
- A handful of almonds (optional)
- Put the strawberries, banana, almonds, protein powder & water/milk in a blender. (Pro Tip: The goal is to keep it thick like ice-cream. Start off with less water/milk than you think. The more liquid you add, the farther away from that ice-cream thickness you’ll be.)
- Blend until thick with no chunks. (Pro Tip: The magic bullet works wonders for this recipe.) The thicker your preference, the longer you’ll have to spend blending it all up.
- Pour into a medium-sized bowl.
- Serve with your favorite fruit and a handful of nuts on top! I prefer blackberries, slices of banana, almonds, and walnuts!
I really love this recipe. It’s super quick, easy, and a healthy alternative to traditional ice-cream. It’s pretty much all fruit! And most importantly, I don’t feel regretful after eating the whole thing myself!
Comments / 0