Travelers often depend on the websites, apps and crowdsourcing recommendations for making decisions about the places they visit. They check ratings and rankings, seeking the "best" places to eat, sleep and play.
Following is a ranking of the Top 5 restaurants in Acworth, from TripAdvisor's May 2022 listings. The numerical ranking is from TripAdvisor.com; comments are from the author.
- Fish Thyme. Located on Main Street but outside of the immediate downtown area, Fish Thyme is well-known for its creative seafood dishes, upscale bar and outside dining patio. Owner Steve Dudley was determined to offer a city-like experience to locals without the drive down I-75, and he's succeeded.
- Henry's. Native Louisianian Henry Chandler's downtown restaurant is known far and wide for its Cajun cuisine, generous portions, special events and the welcoming antics of its owner, named “Favorite Local Chef in America” by ABC. Chef's "Ooh-La-La" cream sauce earns its name as a house favorite, and is also sold by the jar.
- Reveille. Located at the corner of Mars Hill and Stilesboro Roads at Brookstone, this breakfast and lunch house is packed on weekends, but just very, very busy on weekdays. If you like French Toast, you'll be on another level once you try the Mystic French Toast here, featuring Challah bread stuffed with cream cheese filling, coated with corn flakes, then topped with fresh strawberries & bananas and finally drizzled with vanilla rum sauce.
- Poblano's. A family-owned family favorite, Poblano's occupies the corner of a strip mall hidden behind another strip mall off of busy Cobb Parkway. Locals have no trouble finding the authentic Mexican dishes here, despite that less-than-ideal location.
- L. Marie's. Featuring classic home-cooked Southern Cuisine and comfort food that defines the word comfort, words like "unique," "delightful," "fantastic" and "tasty" fill the reviews of happy diners.
But locals don't always agree with the TripAdvisor or other crowdsourced rankings, which often may be heavily influenced by the high number of one-time visits by those passing through because locals can't record their frequent and return visits. Published reports and TripAdvisor statements indicate that bogus reviews, often submitted by hospitality establishments and their representatives, can skew the ratings. Travel-focused blogs like OutThereTravel.com and NeverStopTraveling.com as well as mainstream and business media like Forbes have reported extensively on TripAdvisor's own efforts to stop fake reviews.
So do you agree with the TripAdvisor ratings? Get out there and sample your local restaurants to compare. Then leave your comments -- along with a like or share -- here.
Follow DeanLand on Newsbreak
To get all the latest from DeanLand, follow us on Newsbreak. On your phone or tablet, select "FOLLOW" above or below this post. On your computer, select FOLLOW on the left navigation sidebar. You'll find extended articles by DeanLand at OurTravelCafe.com.
Help Us Cover Outdoors, Family Fun and More
We focus on family fun, hiking, outdoors, exploration, history, travel, and community interest in West Cobb County and Northwest Georgia. If you have a story idea or tip to share, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org