All information is from the Darien Police Commission meeting which took place on Dec 2, 2021 and reported on by Blaine Hurty at DarienCTNews.
Darien Police Department activity for November 4 – December 1, 2021:
- On November 5th at approximately 1:00 AM a 35-year old Stamford man was arrested for DWI after his vehicle was involved in a single vehicle accident on Hoyt Street near Lake Drive.
- On November 6th three suspects entered Stop & Shop at 25 Old Kings Highway North and loaded shopping carts with Tide laundry detergent products. They then proceeded to exit the store without paying for the merchandise and loaded it into an awaiting vehicle left running in the fire lane. The vehicle then sped off. The suspects were identified as the same suspects in a similar incident in Oxford and have been arrested.
- On November 7th at approximately 2:00 AM a 43-year old Stamford man was arrested for DWI after his vehicle was observed crossing the double yellow line on the Post Road by Hillside Avenue.
- On November 8th a 38-year old Darien man was arrested by warrant for Disorderly Conduct and Interfering with an Emergency Call during a domestic violence incident.
- On November 9th a 19-year old Norwalk man was arrested by warrant for the burglary and the theft of an unlocked motor vehicle from a McLaren Road residence in June of this year. This lengthy investigation involved DNA processing from recovered evidence and analysis of phone records by Darien detectives. This suspect has been arrested by our agency in the past for motor vehicle theft and has an extremely lengthy criminal history.
- A 56-year old Norwalk man was arrested by warrant for two counts of Larceny 5th after he was identified as a suspect in the theft of backpack leaf blowers from landscaping companies while they were working on Deerfield Road on November 6th and Pembroke Road on November 8th.
- On November 17th an employee of a business at 36 Old Kings Highway South had her wallet stolen from her purse while she was working. Credit cards that were in her wallet were also fraudulently used at a nearby business.
- On November 19th graffiti was discovered at Tilley Pond Park on the hut, the hut fireplace, the ground, and on nearby construction equipment.
- On November 19th a subject entered CVS pharmacy and shoplifted over $500 worth of candles and baby formula.
- On November 23rd a 37-year old Bridgeport man was arrested by warrant after he was identified as a suspect in the theft of a watch while he was working for a moving company in Darien earlier in the year.
- Since November 4th we have had 10 separate reports of check fraud incidents in which personal checks were stolen either from residential mailboxes as outgoing mail or from the post office itself. Darien detectives are currently working with Postal Inspectors on these investigations.
- Since November 4th the Patrol Division and Traffic Division have conducted 89 traffic stops in numerous areas of town. There were 15 overnight burglaries of unlocked vehicles and 4 stolen vehicles that were left unlocked with keys inside.
There were 33 motor vehicle accidents, 5 of which involved minor injuries. This afternoon there was a motor vehicle rollover with injuries.
Chief Anderson reminded the public once again to lock their vehicles as burglaries of motor vehicles and stolen vehicles are occurring due to vehicles being left unlocked.