There's nothing quite like the taste of freshly made, wood-fired pizza. The perfect balance of a crispy crust, melted cheese, and delicious toppings is simply unmatched. If you're a pizza aficionado, chances are you've considered investing in a pizza oven to recreate that authentic pizzeria flavor at home. In this article, we delve into the best pizza ovens available in 2023, along with expert insights on what to look for.
1. Ooni Karu
One of the standout names in the pizza oven world in recent years has been Ooni. Their ovens have been consistently celebrated by critics, consumers, and experts alike. Speaking of which, let's dive into a personal account from Lina Darnell from Hip2Save:
After researching online for quite a while, Ooni is the pizza oven brand that kept popping up as one of the highest-rated by numerous online sources including Wired.com. They have a 5-year warranty when you register your oven and also offer free shipping on orders over $69.99 and free returns. Speaking of returns, Ooni has their Great Pizza Guarantee! If you are not satisfied, they will gladly accept returns within a 60-day period.
I love that it can easily fit on a tabletop outside or on an apartment balcony, and our Ooni Karu pizza oven only weighs about 25 pounds. The oven only takes about 20 minutes to heat up using small pieces of wood and it can reach up to 945 degrees. The Ooni is like pizza magic, and I am so all about it!
This is a legit wood-fired pizza that doesn’t take long to cook and is easy to do. We have done lots of pizza testing on our Ooni and I 100% think this was a great purchase. 🙌
You can find their product review on Hip2Save.com that shares more insight as to why she likes it, some additional products that make her pizza-making experience even better, and the latest deal on it -- it's currently $100 off on Ooni's website!
2. Breville Pizzaiolo
Another standout in the home pizza oven world is the Breville Pizzaiolo. Designed for indoor use, this oven utilizes an innovative heating system that replicates the environment of a brick oven. With its ability to reach up to 750°F in under 2 minutes, the Pizzaiolo produces pizzas with charred edges and a perfectly crisp crust.
3. Gozney Roccbox
Gozney Roccbox is a portable pizza oven that boasts both gas and wood capabilities. It's known for its durability, efficiency, and easy-to-use nature. With its retractable legs and detachable burner system, the Roccbox is the perfect companion for outdoor enthusiasts.
4. Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven
For those who enjoy outdoor cooking, Camp Chef's Italia Artisan Pizza Oven is a noteworthy contender. Mimicking the performance of a wood-fired brick oven, it features a ceramic pizza stone, adjustable temperature, and a unique design that enhances the convection process for perfect pizzas every time.
5. BakerStone Pizza Oven Box
Ideal for grill enthusiasts, the BakerStone Pizza Oven Box is an innovative tool that transforms your gas or charcoal grill into a gourmet pizza oven. With its patent-pending design, it circulates heat evenly and cooks pizzas in just 2-4 minutes.
What to Look For When Buying a Pizza Oven in 2023
As the pizza oven market continues to evolve, there are certain features to consider:
- Type of Fuel: Decide between wood-fired, gas, or electric ovens. Each has its advantages, from the smoky flavor imparted by wood to the convenience of gas or electric models.
- Portability: Depending on your space, you might prefer a mobile oven that can be moved around.
- Temperature Range: Higher temperatures result in crispier crusts. Look for models that can reach at least 700°F.
- Size: This determines how many pizzas you can cook at once, so choose based on your needs.
- Material: Consider the build quality and materials used. Stainless steel and cast iron are durable and long-lasting.
- Price: Set a budget but be ready to invest for quality. Remember, a good pizza oven is a long-term investment.
Tips for Using Your Pizza Oven
- Preheat the Oven: Allow your oven to reach its maximum temperature before cooking.
- Use a Pizza Stone: This ensures even heat distribution and a crispy crust.
- Rotate the Pizza: To ensure even cooking, rotate your pizza halfway through.
- Clean Regularly: Remove ash or residue to maintain the performance of your oven.
Choosing the right pizza oven comes down to personal preference, budget, and space. While there are many options on the market, the key is to find one that meets your specific needs and delivers consistently delicious results. With the proper care and use, a good pizza oven can provide you with years of culinary delight.