According to data from the Georgia Department of Corrections, twenty-one inmates in Georgia prisons died while in custody during the month of August. GDC officials released that three of those deaths were ruled as homicide.
A list of the inmates reveals that three of those deaths were homicides, eight deaths were attributed to natural causes, two inmates reportedly took their own lives, and eight deaths are currently undetermined, awaiting an autopsy report.
These deaths, as per the data, occurred between August 6 and August 30 at fifteen different Georgia prisons. The data also shows that the ages of the inmates ranged from 26 to 72.
The inmates include:
- August 6th: Milledge Angel - 72 - Natural causes - Bainbridge PSATC
- August 7: Willie Snipes - 39 - Suicide - Dooly SP
- August 8: John Robertson - 76 - Undetermined - Ware SP
- August 10: Kevin Lamar - 44 - Homicide - Macon SP
- August 11: David Michael - 38 - Natural causes - GDCP
- August 12: Francisco Melgar-Saldivar - 26 - Homicide - Hancock SP
- August 12: Jefferey Harris - 45 - Undetermined - Valdosta SP
- August 13: Jamal Leeks - 29 - Natural causes - ASMP
- August 13: Kristopher Swear - 32 - Undetermined - Valdosta SP
- August 14: Joseph Twilley - 61 - Natural causes - Baldwin SP
- August 14: Quenton Mayo - 30 - Homicide - Smith SP
- August 14: Kenneth Cotton - 45 - Undetermined - Wilcox SP
- August 15: Ronnie Criswell - 67 - Natural causes - Hays SP
- August 15: William Smiley - 41 - Undetermined - Rogers SP
- August 22: Monty Simpson - 69 - Natural causes - ASMP
- August 22: Timothy Hicks - 37 - Suicide - Hancock SP
- August 23: Brian Niehaus - 51 - Undetermined - Wilcox SP
- August 25: Thomas Lawson - 59 - Natural causes - ASMP
- August 28: Leon Williams - 62 - Natural causes - Coastal SP
- August 30: Walter Jordan - 53 - Undetermined - Telfair SP
- August 30: Monica Robinson - 43 - Undetermined - Arrendale SP
Last month, 28 deaths were reported, with three determined to be homicides, according to the GDC.