It takes some planning but is worth the effort to make these homemade tostadas. At least once a week a tostada craving comes around.
- 3 oz to 4 oz thawed chicken breast. (Flatten slightly to cook faster.)
- 20 whole tortilla chips.
- 1/4 cup of canned refried beans.
- 2/3 cup of shredded cheese (mixed cheeses).
- One heaping cup of chopped green leaf lettuce.
- Two small to medium vine ripe tomatoes, one to two tablespoons of favorite chili peppers, two tablespoons of cilantro.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
- One tablespoon of butter.
- Two tablespoons of sour cream.
Cooking chicken breast:
- Use half of the salt and pepper on one side of the chicken breast.
- Turn the stove burner to high. Put half of the butter in the center of the pan. Once butter is melted and bubbly, place the seasoned chicken breast directly on it.
- Turn the burner down to medium-low and fry slowly until half cooked. Before flipping over, coat chicken breast with remaining butter, salt, and pepper.
While chicken breast is cooking.
- Pull off six to eight good-sized leaves of green leafy lettuce off the stalk, rinse under cold water, and place in a dish in the refrigerator to crisp. (Pat dry and chop only when ready to use immediately.)
- Chop tomatoes, chilis, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and place to the side for later.
- Heat refried beans covered in the microwave. Keep very warm.
Layer ingredients in order for each plate.
- Crunch chips into medium-sized pieces and place on pre-warmed plates.
- Heat and drop several small spoonfuls of warm refried beans onto chips.
- Small cut pieces of chicken.
- Grated cheese.
- Tomato mixture.
- Green leafy lettuce.
- Top with sour cream.
Grated mixed cheese instructions.
Green chili salsa instructions.