(Colorado Springs, CO) This Friday, June 3rd, is National Donut Day. The annual celebration was started by The Salvation Army in 1938 to commemorate the "Donut Lassies," female volunteers who provided support, supplies, and donuts to American troops on the frontline during World War I.
These brave and clever ladies fried the donuts in the soldier's helmets, and it provided a much-needed morale boost to our battle-weary troops.
Now, every first Friday in June, we honor the "Donut Lassies" and the sweet treat that provided a taste of home to American military members who were far away.
Several local donut shops are celebrating National Doughnut Day.
Amy's Donuts will be handing out gourmet donut hole samples with a donut purchase. They have two locations in Colorado Springs.
- South store: 2704 E. Fountain Blvd, Colorado Springs
- North store: 3765 Bloomington Street, Colorado Springs
- Friday hours for both locations are 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Krispy Kreme is giving everyone a free donut. Visitors can select any donut to enjoy for free on June 3rd - no purchase necessary. The franchise is also offering a $1 Original Glazed dozen with the purchase of any dozen or 16-count minis.
- Location: 5790 South Carefree Circle, Colorado Springs, 80917
- Friday hours are 5:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Arnold's Donuts is offering a free glazed donut with the purchase of one dozen assorted donuts.
- Location: 5883 Palmer Park Blvd, Colorado Springs, 80915
- Friday store hours are 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Shipley Do-Nuts in Fountain, Colorado, will offer a free signature glazed donut with any purchase from 5:00 a.m. until noon on Friday, June 3.
- Location: 7955 Fountain Mesa Road Suite 100, Fountain, Colorado
- Friday store hours are 5:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. but the promotion ends at noon
- Facebook page
There are many delicious donut shops in Colorado Springs. Although the below-listed stores are not running any specific promotions for National Donut Day, they will still have plenty of great-tasting donuts available on Friday.
- Hurts Donut Company - 6165 Barnes Road, Colorado Springs, 80922
- Horseshoe Donuts - 481 W. Highway 105 Suite 202, Monument, Colorado
Happy National Donut Day!
Please follow me for local, low-cost activities the entire family can enjoy.