(Colorado Springs, CO) Nightingale Bread, a bakery north of downtown Colorado Springs, occupies classroom no. 8 in what was previously Lincoln Elementary School. The bakery opened in 2017 and is perhaps the best smelling classroom in the former school now called Lincoln Center.
Nightingale Bread serves freshly baked loaves made from house-milled flour and organic grains. The bread selection varies depending on the season and day of the week. The following bread is available every day right now: blonde, red, seeded red, baguette, and rye.
The current daily bread options are as follows:
- Wednesday: olive
- Thursday: sweet potato sandwich, cranberry sage, and spelt
- Friday: cinnamon-raisin and backcountry
- Saturday: baker's choice, seeded baguette, spelt, backcountry, fougasse, focaccia, various rolls, and bialy
You can verify the seasonal bread selections on their website under "offerings."
In addition to delicious bread, Nightingale also has a wonderful pastry case filled with croissants, seasonal scones, cookies, and sandwiches. When I visited the bakery this Thursday, the selection included:
- Smoked Ham and Roasted Chile Quiche
- Roasted Cauliflower and Romesco Sauce Sandwich
- Ham and Dill Havarti Sandwich
- Morning Bun
- Chocolate Croissant (pictured above)
- Lemon Poppyseed Scone
- Molasses Spice Cookie
- Salted Dark Chocolate Cookie
I ordered the Ham and Dill Havarti Sandwich which was served on a baguette with arugula, thinly sliced red onions, stone ground mustard, and a light vinaigrette dressing. It was delicious. Later, I devoured a buttery, flaky sweet chocolate croissant. It was large enough to share, but I didn't. Maybe next time.
Customers stand outside to place their order, and there is no indoor seating, so dress accordingly. There are a few outdoor standing tables to use when the weather is nice.
This bakery is a popular spot, and all items are first come, first served. Arrive early for the best selection.
I'll see you there!
- Location: 2727 North Cascade Avenue #165, Colorado Springs
- Hours: Wednesday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. They also offer to-go pizzas on Thursday and Friday evenings from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Go here to see the pizza menu. The shop is closed Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.
Please follow me for local eateries and activities the whole family can enjoy.