In the world of social media, the aesthetics of our food is almost as important as the taste. We want to share the experience that we have at local restaurants by posting it on our social medias. If you have lived in Tampa for a while, you may have heard or been to Datz. If you have not, this article is a sign to go check them out and here is why.
Datz and Dough
One of the most popular social spots in Tampa Bay is a restaurant that reinvents classics in some of the most unique ways. Datz was opened in 2009 and since then has opened a second restaurant in St. Petersburg. Roger and Suzy Perry (the owners) pride themselves on turning comfort food into an aesthetic and inventive meal that makes their sons proud. Since opening, they have also created a sweet side to their restaurant called Dough, an upscale restaurant and even a BBQ restaurant. They have won countless awards and even were featured on Good Morning America and Food network!!
Of course, they win the most aesthetically pleasing dishes in my book, but their aesthetics do not take away from how good the food tastes as well. So lets take a deeper look into their menu. I included as many photos as I could featuring how gorgeous each dish comes out as in hopes that it gives you the slightest glimpse of the flavor profiles that just explode on your taste buds.
Datz is the perfect place to get brunch with your friends due to their incredible brunch specific menu filled with some of the most interesting plates that you will ever see on the menu. One of the biggest perks of coming to Datz is that their menu is humongous therefore you know there will be something for everyone. Their menu is presented in the form of a newspaper which is such a fun little perk to flip through. You honestly can not go wrong with any of Datz meals especially when it gives you the excuse to sleep in, grab a mimosa and then eat some bomb food. Specifically some of my favorite dishes on the brunch menu include:
- Chicken N’ Waffle Benedict: Boneless crispy chicken tenders, poached eggs and Tasso ham hollandaise on a Belgian waffle
- Belly Breakfast Burrito "BBB": Pork belly, scrambled eggs, black beans, confetti corn and house-made Hatch chile salsa, in a large flour tortilla, topped with rattlesnake queso. Served with side of cilantro fiesta rice and beans.
- Cheddar-Crusted Breakfast tacos Bacon, scrambled eggs, house-made pico de gallo, smashed avocado, cilantro and house-made Hatch chile salsa, topped with Cotija cheese. Served in cheddar-crusted corn tortillas
- Crème Brûlée French Toast Brûléed French toast with Bavarian cream, topped with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar
Their brunch menu goes on for days so there are so many other options as well. You will need to take quite a few trips in order to make a dent in the menu (which sounds like a great plan to me:) I highly recommend pairing your brunch with their salted caramel cold brew which is soooo good.
If you come later in the day and are in the mood for lunch or dinner, there are so many great choices. To start off, definitely order a couple of the shareables to start of the meal. The buffalo cauliflower popcorn is my personal favorite because it is absolutely covered in buffalo sauce. The mac bites are also super popular which are made of fried bacon-jalapeno mac n cheese balls. The monkey bread is drool worthy and the best way to start off the meal with something a little sweet, It is served warm with pull apart clusters of warm, gooey cinnamon sugar and caramel and vanilla icing.
For your main entree
- The Cheesy Todd: GMA Certified Angus Beef ® ground brisket and short rib burger, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion and pickle on two bacon-jalapeño mac n’ cheese “buns
- The Double D Two 6 oz. Certified Angus Beef ® ground brisket and short rib patties, Swiss & American cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion on two whole glazed doughnuts.
- Kentucky Colonel Bowl Boneless crispy chicken tenders, served over mashed potatoes, bacon-confetti corn and melted cheddar-jack cheese. Topped with chicken gravy and bacon crumbles, and served with a biscuit and side of honey
- Waffles N’ Tweet Boneless crispy chicken tenders topped with honeyed-pecan butter and served over a Belgian waffle with bourbon maple syrup and candied pecans.
- Butternut Squash Ravioli Artisan ravioli tossed in a sage brown-butter sauce and accented with roasted butternut squash
The Double D is probably my favorite burger in all of Tampa. That sweet and savory combination between the burger and the donuts literally is the best of all time. The donuts are so soft and fluffy. Personally I order the Double D with an impossible burger patty which they serve (welcome vegetarians!!), I strongly recommend ordering some of the fusion fries on the side which are fries served with black truffle olive soil, San Joaquin Gold cheese and herb aioli and they are perfection.
On their menu they serve a variety of handcrafted cocktails, craft beers, and bourbons to pair with your meal such as:
- Champagne Supernova: Changes colors before your eyes! Rey de Copas® Brut, New Amsterdam® Stratosphere Gin, lemon, and a super-secret glitter potion!
- Prickly Pear Mimosa: Rey de Copas® Brut, mandarin-tangerine purée, prickly pear syrup, prickly pear candy
- Salted Caramel old Fashioned: Devil’s River® Bourbon, Lustau® Amontillado sherry, salted caramel syrup, black walnut bitters and orange bitters
Their drafts include a midnight lager, schofferhofer grapefruit, delirium red fruit beer, Island Ale Pale Ale and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I love ciders so they also serve the mango cider from keel farms which is absolutely amazing as well as Mosa.
Even after all of this food, you have to save room for dessert. You can order dessert right after your meal while sitting at the table or you can head over right next door to their Dough bakery. Off of their restaurant menu they serve peanut butter pie, pumpkin cheesecake and my personal favorite carrot cake. Their carrot cake is infused with pineapple, coconut and pecan, and loaded with cream cheese frosting.
Dough is the perfect spot to order some dessert to take home. They have deep fried apple pies, William Dean Chocolate Macarons, Monster Brownies and lots and lots of doughnuts and cupcakes to choose from. If you stop by and get a cupcake from there, I strongly recommend the cookie dough cupcake which is filled in the center which a ball of cookie dough. It is like having a cookie and cupcake in one and I am so here for it. As you know, I am a sucker for carrot cake, so their carrot cake cheesecake takes their normal cheesecake to a new level. The carrot cake is layered with cheesecake in between every layer.
So next time you are looking for a place for you and the ladies to grab brunch or grab some food after work, or maybe even satisfy a sweet craving you have been having, head over to Datz and Dough. Their food comes out picture perfect for both your social media pages, your snapchat stories, your instagram but better yet, it tastes like heaven on a plate. They were opened by a local Tampa family who is helping to develop the unique food culture that we can call home in Tampa Bay, If you are looking for more local restaurant recommendations, please follow me and check out my other articles!!
With love and good food,