The historic Wilson Price Hunt House is located at 7717 Natural Bridge Road in Normandy, Missouri (suburb of St. Louis in St. Louis County). Built in 1904, this house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 23, 1980. It was privately owned at the time. According to the Redfin real estate website, it was last sold in October 2012.
This two-and-a-half-story house sits about 100 feet from the road. To the east of it is an apartment complex and to the west is an undertaking business.
This house has architectural influences from the 1700s and early 1800s. It has a two-story portico and four Ionic columns. Apart from the portico is a wooden balcony. There is also a one-story enclosed porch on the east side of the house.
Each floor has about 10 feet tall ceilings. There are six fireplaces. An alteration on the third floor consisted of converting a bedroom into a dormitory-style bathroom. Visit here for interior images.
The Hunt and Lucas families
Wilson Price Hunt (b. 1860-d. 1926) was the son of Charles Lucas Hunt (b. 1820-d. 1885) and the grandson of Captain Theodore Hunt (b. 1780-d. 1832) and Anna Lucas Hunt (b. 1796-d. 1879).
Anna Lucas Hunt was the only daughter of one of the wealthiest and influential men in the early history of St. Louis, Jean Baptiste Charles Lucas (b. 1758-d. 1840). It appears Jean also had an Americanized name of John B.C. Lucas which is on his grave marker.
Jean Baptiste Charles Lucas
Born in Normandy, France, Lucas came to America in 1784 and lived in western Pennsylvania. He was a scholar and lawyer in his homeland and continued that practice in coming to a new homeland.
In 1805, Lucas was appointed to the Board of Commissioners for the Louisiana Territory by President Jefferson, which took him and his family to St. Louis. While there, he made many land acquisitions.
Lucas, his wife, Anne (Sebin), and their children built up the nearly 800-acres of the Normandy Park estate. Today, this land is filled with municipalities and institutions, many of which were founded or endowed by his descendants.
One of the Lucas sons, Charles, was also a well-known lawyer. He acquired 640 acres of land in 1811 in what became known as the Normandy area and named as such to honor their father's native homeland.
In 1814, Anne Lucas married Captain Theodore Hunt who was a native of New Jersey. He was a U.S. Navy officer, educated and somewhat worldly. Three years later, her brother, Charles, was killed in a duel with Thomas Hart Benton, and Anne inherited his property.
After the death of her husband, Anne married Theodore's cousin, Wilson Price Hunt (b. 1783, d. 1842).
In Anne's later years, she was very involved with Catholic charities and either gave or bequeathed nearly $1 million dollars to them. Anne's only son, Charles Lucas Hunt (b. 1820-d. 1885), was named after her brother who was killed.
Anne's brother, James, became prominent in St. Louis. He served as a state Senator from 1834-1845. James, the youngest Lucas son, lived to divide his father's fortune with Anne.
The grandson, Wilson Price Hunt
Wilson Price Hunt was named after his grandmother Anne Lucas Hunt's second husband. After he married Georgia A. McKinney, their house was built at Natural Bridge Road on land left by his grandmother. Wilson and Georgia had a son also named Wilson Price Hunt, a son named Reginald C. Hunt (b. 1901-d. 1978), and a daughter named Anne L. Hunt (b. 1899-d. 1989).
Anne L. Hunt, a convent volunteer and great-granddaughter of J.B.C. Hunt, left no immediate survivors when she passed away at age 90.
When Reginald married Christine Helene Troy (b. 1906-d. 1978), they had a son named Wilson Troy Hunt, taking his mother's maiden name for a middle name.
The Hunt House remained in their family until the 1950s. After it was sold to Crawford A. King, his wife referred to the house as King's Manor.
In 1961, the house was sold to the Ursuline Sisters of Paola, Kansas, who sold it a decade later to Elmer Drehmann of the Drehmann-Harral Funeral Home. At the time the house was nominated for the National Register, the Normandy Historical Association was trying to raise the necessary funding to purchase and restore the house. This organization had permission from Mr. Drehmann to use the house as its headquarters.
In 1988, the house was purchased by Jeffrey Stygar who had assistance from the Normandy Historical Society to restore the house. The top two floors were converted to offices. The third floor housed Garret Galleries and Stygar rented the first floor.
In 1996, the house was purchased by Patrick McLaughlin who moved his real estate office there. He also worked on restoring the house.
The house today
In 2012, this historic house was purchased by Roanoke Construction to serve as its headquarters. The house contains office space, original stained glass windows, the six original fireplaces that were refurbished, and the original wood windows. The wood floors were refinished as well as the original wood trim and doors. Some images are included on Roanoke's website.
Thanks for reading about this house which served a purpose in the past and continues o hold one in the present.