In the northernmost western part of Atchison County, Missouri in Rock Port, there's a historic home known as the John Dickinson Dopf Mansion that was built in 1876. The design of the home is Victorian Second Empire and is supposed to be the only one of its style in Rock Port.
John Dickinson Dopf
Dopf was a newspaper publisher, banker, and realtor. He was born in Platteville, Wisconsin on July 18, 1839, and was the second born in a family of five. He was orphaned at the age of seven. In his earlier years, he was a printer's apprentice. When he moved to Polo, Illinois in 1860, Dopf published a newspaper. Two years later, he relocated to St. Louis and became the manager of the Missouri State Printing Office in Jefferson City, Missouri.
In 1863, Dopf established The Atchison County Journal in Rock Port. He was the county surveyor from 1864 through 1870 resulting in a real estate business. At one time, he was a partner in a bank established in 1870 called the Bank of Atchison County (inactive as of September 7, 1993, when acquired by Bank Midwest).
Dopf and his wife, Mary, purchased land for their home in 1866. They had 10 children. He was well regarded by those who knew him.
The original architect for the home was J. Manz from Chicago. The Victorian style architecture of this home is the only one of its style in Rock Port. The mansard roof is attractive with its slate shingles which consist of alternating rows of hexagonal and square shapes.
In the 1930s, the large house was used as four apartments with results that altered the appearance of the home's original design. Some of the original hardware and light fixtures were lost during this time. The apartments were called The Hillcrest.
In 1979, an architect, Ralph E. Kiene, Jr., purchased the home restoring it to its authentic state along with purchaser/developer, Robert L. Woodbury.
In 1984, the mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Thank you for reading.