Dogs are increasingly going to the vet for marijuana in their systems
Dr. Charles Wood with Old Dominion Animal Hospital told NBCNews 29 WVIR that he is seeing an increase in dogs who are dealing with the same peculiar problem-they have gotten into their owner's stash of edible marijuana. The veterinarian admitted this is not something that is necessarily surprising him, but that does not make the issue any less dangerous.
“Ten years ago, I would see one or two dogs a year. Now, I say we have probably seen one or two dogs a month, “Anytime you see a dog who especially looks like he’s just waking up from anesthesia, you know, he’s kind of sleepy, kind of groggy, we think, ‘Hmm, I wonder if the dog had something that he got into.’”
Keep your cannabis under lock and key and away from pets
Wood acknowledged that he has seen pets who get into their owners' prescription drugs and other medications and .has never seen a dog overdose from THC, the major psychoactive component in cannabis. He added that the real problem is the manner in which the canine obtained the substance. He pointed out the issues in marijuana being legal and people are more free and not taking necessary precautions. He advises that the best way to keep pets safe is to make sure your edible cannabis is safely locked away.
“The problem is that with the marijuana a lot of times as in cookies,” Wood said. “So the dog gets into an oatmeal-raisin cookie that’s full of marijuana. The marijuana is not the issue, sometimes as much as the the raisin is the issue.”
“Because marijuana is much more available now, and people are much more open about it, a lot of times they don’t realize their pet has gotten into it. And sometimes they come in and they just don’t have any idea that that’s even on the agenda that something might have happened,”