Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021
Today, the New Jersey Redistricting Commission announced their changes based on New Jersey's 2020 census which entitles the state to 12 seats in the House of Representatives.
- These changes will be in place through 2031.
US Congressional Redistricting
The Constitution requires that 435 seats are assigned to the US States House of Representatives.
- Each state is allotted seats in proportion to their population.
- Every 10 years states readjust their districts based on the previous year's census; some states may gain or lose seats.
NJ Congressional Redistricting
New Jersey's Constitution calls for the Redistricting Commission to re-create the districts every 10 years.
- Based on the census, the Commission creates districts that are equal in population.
Essex County Congressional Changes
The following Essex County municipality's congressional districts have changed:
- Belleville: from District 8 (Sires) to District 11 (Sherrill)
- Caldwell, Essex Fells and Verona: from District 11 (Sherrill) to District 10 (Payne)
- Maplewood and South Orange: from District 10 (Payne) to District 11 (Sherrill)
- Millburn: from District 7 (Malinowski) to District 11 (Sherrill)
Essex County Congressional Districts Staying the Same
- Montclair (part): stays District 10 (Payne)
- Newark (part): stays District 8 (Sires)
- Bloomfield (part), East Orange, Glen Ridge, Irvington, Newark (part), Orange, and West Orange (part): stay District 10 (Payne)
- Bloomfield (part), Cedar Grove, Fairfield, Livingston, Montclair (part), North Caldwell, Nutley, Roseland, West Caldwell and West Orange (part): stay District 11 (Sherrill)
Other Essex County news you may have missed:
- Continuing Virtually into the Future: Most NJ Court Matters, including Criminal, Family, Municipal, and Tax Proceedings
- Essex County, NJ: Your Town’s Share of $13.575 Million Road Improvements Grants Detailed
- Essex-Hudson Greenway: $65 Million in NJ Funding Will Create New State Park
Follow on Newsbreak
Thank you for reading.
To receive notifications: