“During the recovery of the vehicle, East Orange Police apprehended Jenkins and the juvenile who were observed exiting the vehicle. It is alleged that Jenkins was in possession of a semi-automatic handgun.” ~ Theodore N. Stephens, II, Acting Essex County Prosecutor
Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021
This afternoon the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office announced that two arrests have been made in connection to the recent strong-arm carjacking in Cedar Grove. According to Theodore N. Stephens, II, Acting Essex County Prosecutor, Zion Jenkins, 18, and a 16-year-old female have been arrested in East Orange and charged with receiving stolen property.
According to county records, Jenkins had just turned 18 ten days earlier.
TUESDAY, NOV. 23, 2021
Cedar Grove Police responded to a female caller in the 93 Pompton Avenue shopping plaza parking lot who reported that her car had just been stolen. According to police:
- The caller stated that while she was exiting the parking lot, the rear of her 2019 Jaguar XE had been struck by another vehicle.
- When the woman got out of her car to check on the damage, the two occupants of the car that struck hers also got out of their vehicle.
- While the woman was speaking with the female driver, Jenkins got out of the passenger side of the car, then reportedly got into the woman’s vehicle and drove south on Pompton Avenue towards Bloomfield Avenue.
- The juvenile female driver then pushed past the woman, returned to her car, and followed the stolen Jaguar.
Using the Jaguar’s built-in tracking device, Cedar Grove Police alerted East Orange Police that the stolen car was approaching their area.
- East Orange Police located the Jaguar on the 200 block of Prospect Street in their town.
- Police reportedly observed Jenkins and the juvenile exiting the vehicle.
- Jenkins was allegedly in possession of a semi-automatic handgun.
- Both teens were taken into custody and transported to the East Orange Police Department.
Zion Jenkins, 18, of East Orange has been charged with the following:
- Receiving stolen property
- Unlawful possession of weapons
Juvenile Female, 16
- Receiving stolen property
The investigation remains active; anyone with information is asked to contact the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office.
- Confidential Tip Line: 1-877-847-7432
Other recent Cedar Grove news you might have missed:
- Cedar Grove, NJ: Pompton Avenue Driver Crashes Car into Pole and Flips Vehicle Late Saturday Afternoon
- Continuing Virtually into the Future: Most NJ Court Matters, including Criminal, Family, Municipal, and Tax Proceedings
- Essex County, NJ: Your Town’s Share of $13.575 Million Road Improvements Grants Detailed
- UPDATED: Cedar Grove, NJ, 2021 Election Results: School Board and State Races Detailed by Voting District
- Cedar Grove and West Caldwell Police Work Together to Locate Car Reported Stolen Today
Follow on Newsbreak
Thank you for reading.
To receive notifications:
Essex County Prosecutor’s Office
Theodore N. Stephens, II, Acting Essex County Prosecutor
50 West Market Street, Newark, NJ 07102
Confidential Tip Line: 1-877-847-7432
Cedar Grove Police Department
Joseph Cirasa, Police Chief
525 Pompton Avenue, Cedar Grove, New Jersey 07009