The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) announced that, in keeping with recent trends, the number of holiday travelers will match or come close to 2019 Thanksgiving pre-Covid numbers. Nearly 5 million drivers and airline passengers are expected to use its airports, bridges, and tunnels crossings.
Port Authority estimates that, by Sunday, about 1.4 million air passengers will use PANYNJ airports.
Long Waits Likely
Longer wait times should be expected due to:
- High passenger volume
- Ongoing construction
- Possible staffing shortages at TSA security checkpoints
- All passengers should arrive at least two hours in advance of their departure time
- All passengers should arrive at least three hours in advance of their departure times
Real-Time Online Tracking Services
Port Authority continuously updates time estimates for:
- Gates walk times
- Parking availability
- Taxi wait times
- TSA Security and Customs
Some airport parking lots may already be full and tracking systems allow passengers to make parking reservations ahead of time. The following Real-Time Online Airport Tracking Services are available online:
Each website also provides:
- AirTrain maps and schedules
- COVID-19 testing information
- Public transit directions
LaGuardia Airport Advisories
- Until 12am Monday morning, Port Authority / MTA will provide free LaGuardia Link Q70 bus service to and from the airport.
- Free shuttle buses operate between all LaGuardia Airport terminals
Newark Liberty Airport Advisories
- Cashless Parking: Central Terminal Area parking and short-term parking
- Contactless payment is available
- E-Z Pass accepted
Click here for parking availability and reservations.
- Terminal A Ongoing Construction: All departing passengers should arrive no later than two hours prior to scheduled departure times
BRIDGES AND TUNNELS ADVISORIES
By Sunday, Port Authority estimates that 3.5 million drivers will cross through PANYNJ bridges and tunnels
- All construction lane closures are suspended through 5am Monday, including overnight repair closures
PATH TRAIN ADVISORIES
PATH PATH service and train schedules information is online here.
Thursday, Nov. 25
- 7:30am to 1:30pm
PATH Trains will operate on a modified Saturday schedule with additional JSQ-33 via HOB service.
Friday, Nov. 26
- PATH Trains will operate on a modified weekday schedule with all four lines operating on 10-minute schedules during daytime and early evening hours.
Saturday, Nov. 27, and Sunday, Nov. 28
- Normal weekend schedule
Harrison PATH Station
- Southwest entrance remains closed
- Riders are required to use traffic signal pedestrian crossings at Angelo Cifelli Drive and Guyon Drive to access station house on opposite side of Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard.
World Trade Center PATH Station
- Overnight: Use street-level entrances at Fulton Street or Vesey Street via the North Concourse in the 2 World Trade Center Transit Lobby.
- 1am to 5am: Oculus access is limited
- All other entrances will be closed
9th Street and 23rd Street PATH Stations
- Wednesday 5am through Tuesday, 12am
Remaining open at all hours
COVID-19 TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS
Face coverings are required for all in the following locations:
- All Airports and on AirTrain JFK and AirTrain Newark
- PATH: on all trains and indoors at all PATH stations
- World Trade Center transportation hub
- Midtown Bus Terminal
- George Washington Bridge Bus Station
Masks are not required outdoors while waiting for trains on outdoor platforms ONLY at the following PATH stations:
- Journal Square
- Newark Penn
The Port Authority strongly encourages all travelers to plan ahead, remember to check TSA packing guidelines, and allow for additional travel time.
Follow on Newsbreak
Thank you for reading.
To receive notifications:
Other recent Port Authority news you may have missed:
- Port Authority Considering Mass-Transit Options to LaGuardia Including Subway, High-speed Ferry, and Light Rail
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey