The following incidents took place around the West Essex, NJ, area on Saturday, Sept. 18, 2021.
- Due to the nature of verifying a large amount of information, incident reports will likely continue to be delayed.
- Private medical and family incidents, as well as accidental alarms, are not included.
West Caldwell Police responded to a resident on Richard Avenue who reported they believed a drone had been flying near their home at the same early morning hour the past week.
- 4:10am: Police determined the sound was likely due to the Essex County helicopter mosquito spraying each morning in the area.
West Essex Area
By 4am, there were no ambulance units available and paid ambulance crews needed to be dispatched from neighboring counties.
- As Covid-19 cases have been escalating throughout the West Essex region, dispatchers have had a difficult time fulfilling the need for peak-time ambulances.
- Commonly reported symptoms patients are experiencing are uncontrollable vomiting and severe abdominal pain.
Verona / North Caldwell
A Verona patrol officer alerted his headquarters that he was tracking a car that turned left at a high rate of speed onto Bloomfield Avenue from Lakeside Avenue and was currently speeding while traveling north towards North Caldwell.
- The full incident is detailed here:
After Doing Donuts on Bloomfield Avenue and Racing from Verona Police, Driver Detained Early Saturday Morning
Verona Police and the Verona Fire Department responded to a business on Bloomfield Avenue, near Gould Street, for a sounding fire alarm.
- 8:05am: Fire crews determined the alarm was set off in error by construction workers in the basement.
Cedar Grove Police responded to the CVS on Pompton Avenue near Stevens Avenue after calls came in reporting a car crashed into the front of the building.
- At the scene, the police immediately endeavored to find the driver who was not in the vehicle. Within minutes, the driver was located and reportedly they were in the process of shopping inside of the store. The full incident is reported here:
Cedar Grove, NJ: Saturday Morning Car Crash into CVS; Driver located Shopping Inside Store
Roseland Police responded to Freeman Street near Monroe Avenue, where a resident filed a report of property damage due to criminal mischief.
Verona Police responded to Durrell Street where multiple cars were tightly parked along the road.
- 10:35am: Police determined the vehicles were all legally parked and belonged to construction crews working in the area.
Fairfield Police responded to Dunkin on Route 46 East after management reported that an unruly customer had thrown hot coffee on staff and was screaming they wanted their money back.
- 10:45am: Police calmed the situation; management did not press charges, the customer left the area
Verona Police responded to Mountain Road, near Chestnut Road, where a resident reported their carbon monoxide detector was sounding.
- 11:45am: Verona Fire Department responded and received no warning readings from the basement to the attic and notified PSEG to investigate.
- 12pm: The fire crews determined there was a faulty detector in the garage and alerted PSEG.
Essex Fells Police responded to the Country Club area on Eagle Rock Avenue, across from Evelyn Road, where a large branch was resting on utility wires.
- 2pm: PSEG tree crew was notified.
Caldwell Police and Caldwell Fire Department responded to Westville Avenue at Thomas Street where a caller reported the smell of natural gas.
- 3:25pm: PSEG arrived to investigate; the fire department recorded no readings in the area.
North Caldwell Police responded to Chestnut Hill Road, near Brentwood Drive, where a resident reported that 2 persons were attempting to break into the resident's garage. The suspect information was limited:
- 2 persons wearing black hoodies that had gotten out of a black SUV crossover with tinted windows.
- The vehicle had driven away in the direction of Green Place.
- North Caldwell Police searched the surrounding area and interviewed residents.
- There was a follow-up to this incident, the next day:
North Caldwell Police Chief Mark Deuer Tracks Suspected Car Burglars to Route 280 East Towards Newark Sunday Morning
West Caldwell Police responded to Feldstone Place where residents reported that a white male, on a hoverboard going towards Woodland Road, was soliciting.
- 4:10pm: The male was located and advised that his solicitor permit was valid in Fairfield, and he was in West Caldwell.
Verona Police responded to South Prospect Street, off Bloomfield Avenue, to deal with a manhole cover that continues to flip out of its base.
- 5:20pm: Police again repositioned the cover and notified DPW crews who addressed the situation at 5:35pm
Fairfield Police responded to a residence on Martins Lane, off Pier Lane, after reports of loud amplified music
- 10:04pm: Resident was advised and turned down the music.
Fairfield Police were called to assist the Wayne Police Department with dispersing a large Car Meet at the Willowbrook Mall.
- For the past year, Car Meets have been arranged by drivers using online apps to organize after-hours in closed parking lots.
- 10:12pm: As the cars left the area, drivers determined their next location would be Jose Tejas, on Route 46, in Fairfield.
- 10:30pm: At Jose Tejas, Fairfield Police continued to disperse the Car Meet drivers from the area and blocked off the entrance to any non-customers.
Verona Police responded to reports of a loud, large gathering on Woodland Avenue.
- 11:05pm: Residents were advised not to disturb the neighborhood
Verona Police responded to Highland Terrace off Elmwood Road where residents reported witnessing persons lighting off fireworks.
- 11:10pm: Persons were located and advised a police report was filed.
Verona Police advised two juveniles at a school playground that they were trespassing and needed to leave.
Verona Police responded to neighborhood reports of a loud group of persons gathered in the middle of Westover Terrace, with multiple cars along the side of the road
- 11:23pm: They left the area.
Recent West Essex incidents you might have missed:
- Roseland Police Locate Two Individuals Minutes after they are Reported Wanted for Stealing a Security Camera
- Stolen Dodge Ram Driver, Reportedly Found with Cocaine and Stolen Jewelry, Arrested by Cedar Grove Patrolman Cassella
Follow on Newsbreak
Thank you for reading.
To receive notifications:
- Create an Account, and FollowFollow me to see more articles like this....
For further information:
Caldwell Police Department
James H. Bongiorno, Police Chief
1 Provost Sq Caldwell, NJ 07006
Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department
Andrew Pollara, Fire Chief
30 Roseland Avenue, Caldwell, NJ 07006
Essex Fells Police Department
Darren Volker, Police Chief
255 Roseland Ave., Essex Fells, NJ 07021
Fairfield Police Department
Anthony G. Manna, Police Chief
230 Fairfield Road, Fairfield NJ 07004
North Caldwell Police Department
Mark A. Deuer, Police Chief
136 Gould Avenue, North Caldwell, NJ 07006
Roseland Police Department
Richard Costello, Officer in Charge
15 Harrison Avenue, Roseland, NJ 07068
Verona Police Department
Christopher Kiernan, Police Chief
600 Bloomfield Ave, Verona, NJ 07044
Verona Volunteer Fire Department
Matthew Valentine, Fire Chief
880 Bloomfield Ave, Verona, NJ 07044
West Caldwell Police Department
Dennis A. Capriglione, Jr., Police Chief
21 Clinton Road, West Caldwell, NJ 07006