Monday, Sept. 6, 2021
The Caldwell Police, Caldwell DPW and Caldwell Water Department are currently at the scene of a Water Main Break which started at about 11:45am on Wakefield Place, near Central Avenue.
How Long To Repair?
- Water breaks take 4 to 8 hours to repair
What to Do After a Water Main Break is Repaired
- You will probably notice red murky water from your tap
- Open all cold water taps and allow water to run until clear for at least 2 to 10 minutes
- Then turn on hot water tap until it is hot
- Wait 2 hours: turn on hot water again; this ensures your hot water tank is clear
- Ideally: Run washing machine for 2 cycles with detergent to clean the unit
What is a Water Main?
- A primary underground water pipe that connects a home or business to its town's water distribution system
What Causes a Water Main Break?
- All materials wear out over time
- When the ground freezes, it tightens around the pipe which puts pressure on it, resulting in a crack.
- The water inside of the pipe can freeze, creating outward pressure, cracking the pipe
- Metal expands when it is heated, which can result in cracking
- The ground dries out and pulls away from the pipe, which causes the pipe to shift when water is pumped through it, and the movement can result in cracking
Is Your Pipe About to Break?
Inside Your Home: Listen and look out for:
- Hissing or popping noises which could be from low water pressure
- Unusual sounds coming from pipes or faucets
- Water seeping into a room
- Water flowing slowly through tap water
- Water appearing dirty or rusty
Outside Your Home: Listen and look out for:
- Sidewalk or road sinking
- Water gushing from the ground
- Water seeping or pooling out of the ground
- Unexplained wet or soggy ground and grass area