When talking about health inequity is not enough
“The amount of risk and vulnerability one’s willing to endure for a cause is directly proportional to people’s willingness to listen, open their hearts, and be inspired. This method of non-violent, direct action, often earns one the right to be heard.” - Dr. Dennis Godby
Dr. Godby believes that all people have the opportunity to develop to their greatest health potential, which is why he founded Walk USA for Health Equity, a walk across the country beginning September 12th, 2022 from Myrtle Beach, SC, and ending in Knoxville, October 10, 2022, approximately 610 miles later.
The reasons 66-year-old Sacramento's naturopath doctor is starting the first leg of his 3,000-mile walk across America for health equity and a healthier America beginning September 12, 2022:
- America’s healthcare strategy should be focused on encouraging healthy lifestyles to prevent and reverse disease and optimize health.
- He believes that together we can take a stand in helping to create a more just system where ALL Americans have the opportunity to be healthy!
- A person's zip code is more powerful than genetics in determining a person's quality of life, which needs to change.
- During his 610-mile solo walking journey, Dr. Godby will cover about 22 miles a day for 29 days.
- The fact that African American women are three times more likely to die in childbirth than white women is mind-boggling, and Dr. Godby wants to bring attention to all health inequities that should not exist in our country.
- Just as Gandhi said that "God comes in the form of bread to hungry people," Dr. Godby hopes that he will find shelter and food during his journey.
- Please follow his walking journey on the Strava app under Dennis Godby.
While many people like to talk about problems and deficiencies in our healthcare system, Dr. Godby, will take action and start this important journey to make his voice heard and reduce the healthcare inequities in our country.
To minimize the cost of walking, and have more opportunities to meet people along the route, Dr. Godby will not use a support vehicle, but a backpack and camp.
As a 44-year veteran of long runs and walks of conscience for health and social justice, Dr. Godby, hopes to inspire individual health improvement and systemic change.
Dr. Godby is a California-licensed Naturopathic Doctor and Native Sacramentan, who has been practicing in midtown for the last 18 years - the longest-serving ND in Sacramento.
To hear more about his upcoming walk, please listen to a recent interview on Seeds of Sunshine, released on August 17, 2022.
Disclaimer: Seeds of Sunshine is Carmen Micsa's multigenerational podcast that she started together with her daughter.