Fort Smith, Arkansas is a city steeped in history and tradition, with a thriving culinary scene to match. One food that has become synonymous with the region is catfish. Whether you're a lifelong resident or just passing through, there are several local catfish spots that are not to be missed. From hole-in-the-wall diners to upscale seafood restaurants, here are some of the best catfish spots in Fort Smith.
- Catfish Cove Located on the outskirts of Fort Smith, Catfish Cove is a popular catfish restaurant that has been serving up its signature fried catfish for over 25 years. The restaurant prides itself on using only the freshest ingredients and serving generous portions. In addition to catfish, the menu features a variety of seafood dishes, as well as burgers, salads, and sides. The restaurant's rustic decor and friendly service make it a great spot for a casual family dinner.
- Big Jake's Cattle Co. While not strictly a catfish restaurant, Big Jake's Cattle Co. is known for its prime rib and other beef dishes, as well as its delicious catfish. The catfish is battered and fried to a crispy golden brown, and served with hushpuppies and coleslaw. The restaurant also offers a variety of other seafood dishes, like shrimp and scallops, as well as a salad bar and homemade desserts.
- AJ's Oyster House For those looking for a more upscale catfish experience, AJ's Oyster House is the place to go. The restaurant's menu features a variety of seafood dishes, including catfish prepared in several different ways, like grilled, blackened, or fried. The catfish is served with a choice of sides, like garlic mashed potatoes or sautéed spinach. The restaurant's chic decor and elegant atmosphere make it a great spot for a romantic dinner or special occasion.
- Catfish & Company Another popular catfish restaurant in Fort Smith is Catfish & Company, which has been serving up its signature catfish dishes since 1977. The restaurant's catfish is hand-breaded and fried to perfection, and served with homemade tartar sauce and hushpuppies. In addition to catfish, the menu features a variety of other seafood dishes, as well as burgers and sandwiches.
- The Fishin' Pig While not exclusively a catfish restaurant, The Fishin' Pig is known for its unique fusion of barbecue and seafood. The restaurant's catfish is smoked and then fried, giving it a distinctive flavor and texture. The catfish is served with hushpuppies and a choice of sides, like mac and cheese or coleslaw. The restaurant's outdoor seating area and live music make it a great spot for a fun, casual evening out.
No matter your preference, Fort Smith has a catfish spot to suit your taste. From casual diners to upscale seafood restaurants, these local spots offer some of the best catfish in the region. So, whether you're a lifelong fan or trying catfish for the first time, be sure to add these restaurants to your list of must-try spots in Fort Smith.