(Denver, Colo) One of the greatest snacking days is fast-approaching: Super Bowl Sunday. And what brings rivals (and sore Broncos fans) together better than an epic feast?
The Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles square off at 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 12, and if you’re hosting a watch party or bringing something snacky to a gathering, award-winning Chef Richard Sandoval of Tamayo, modern Mexican in Denver, has you covered with his go-to guacamole recipe that’s made all the better with crab.
The guac also makes cameos on the menu at Toro, a pan Latin restaurant inside Hotel Clio in Cherry Creek, is a convivial spot with a ceviche bar, hand-muddled cocktails, and a menu loaded with tasty dishes like lomo saltado, skirt steaks, grilled prawns, sweet corn empanadas, and achiote marinated Cusco half chicken.
Sandoval’s other Colorado restaurants include Stoke & Rye, a modern American spot in Avon at The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa; Venga Venga Mexican cantina and tequila bar in Snowmass; and Toro, located in the Viceroy Hotel, also in Snowmass.
The spicy crab guacamole recipe may seem fancy, but it shouldn’t be daunting because it’s easy, and it’s been adapted to make at home quickly. You can purchase the crab already cooked at the grocery store, and it’s the perfect salty addition to a creamy bowl of guac.
Spicy Crab Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup, finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Pickled jalapeños (for garnish)
- Spicy crabmeat* (recipe below)
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Spicy Crab Meat Ingredients:
- 1 can (330 grams) of premium shredded real lump crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon store-bought chile de arbol salsa
- For the spicy crab meat, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mash the avocados, onion, serrano chile, cilantro and lime juice together in a medium bowl with a large serving fork or a potato masher. Be sure to keep the guacamole chunky.
- Season generously with salt and top guacamole with spicy crabmeat.
- Garnish with pickled jalapeños and cilantro (or micro cilantro). Serve with tortilla chips.
Comments / 0