It’s hard for renters in New York City to catch a break these days. However, some new apartment opportunities from NYC Housing Connect offer renters some relief.
The government agency has announced the availability of 224 affordable apartments with rent starting at $1,437 a month. The apartments are in a new development at 27 Eagle Street and 227 West Street in Brooklyn, New York.
The rent-stabilized apartments (named Eagle+West by the developer) are along Greenpoint’s waterfront and consist of two high-rise towers. The developer describes them as luxury apartments with high-end amenities and breathtaking views of the Manhattan skyline from the floor-to-ceiling windows.
What are the apartment amenities for Eagle+West?
Here is a partial list of apartment amenities. Please note that some amenities may not be available to all residents. For a complete list of amenities, see the Housing Connect site for Eagle+West.
- High-end countertops, finishes, and energy-efficient kitchen appliances, including dishwasher
- Some units include washer and dryer
- Shared laundry facilities
- Air conditioning with smart controls for cooling and heating
- Hardwood floors
- Charging outlets with USB ports
- Garages, covered parking, bike storage lockers, and electric car charging stations
- Pet friendly with dog park and dog washing station
- Gym, pool, playground, recreation room, business center, rooftop terrace
- Security cameras, door attendant, onsite management, package lockers, elevator
What are the rents for these affordable apartments?
There are 745 apartments in the complex. Of these, 224 are set aside for affordable housing through the NYC Housing Connect program.
The rent you pay is based on household income and size. Rent for studios start at $1,437 a month. Starting rent for a one-bedroom apartment is $1,542 a month and $1,862 a month for a two-bedroom unit. Starting rent for a three-bedroom is $2,143 a month.
Apartment management says they will include one-month free rent upon lease signing. Tenants are responsible for electric and the cost of some amenities.
How do you apply for these affordable apartments?
You will need to apply through the NYC Housing Connect housing lottery. Management anticipates the first move-ins will be during the fall 2022. The deadline for this housing lottery application is September 12, 2022.
Note: The eligibility requirements and rents listed in this article are subject to change. For the most recent information, please check out the NYC Housing Connect website.
Other apartment deals offered through NYC Housing Connect
Cheap apartments are hard to come by in New York City where the median monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment is $3,930 a month. However, NYC Housing Connect does have several opportunities listed on their site.
Here are a few that might interest you:
- Gotham Point North Tower in Queens is offering affordable apartments starting at $397 a month for a studio.
- The Lyra development in Manhattan’s Hudson Yards neighborhood has apartments starting at $1,495 for a one-bedroom unit.
What do you think about these affordable apartments?
Write us your thoughts in the comments section. And if you appreciate this content, be sure to share with others and follow me as well. Thanks so much for reading!