(Photo By Kastasha Harris/Pexels)
During this week I decided to try a new recipe for vegetarian tacos, I was a little nervous since it was my first time using chickpeas and cauliflower as a meat substitute for tacos.
I found the recipe after looking through several websites and I thought it seemed delicious, it also looked like something I have not tried before.
After my first bite of the roasted cauliflower taco, I fell in love! It was the best taco I have had in months. After enjoying multiple roasted cauliflower tacos I wanted to know if there were any other recipes that I could try.
On the other hand, I thought it would be beneficial to share these amazing recipes with you guys as well. Below you find the top five vegetarian taco recipes and hopefully they tickle your fancy.
Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos
The roasted cauliflower and lentil tacos were created by Cookie + Kate, the blogger Kate provided the ingredients below.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, sliced into bite-sized florets
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ cup brown lentils, picked over for debris and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers) or chipotle hot sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 small, round corn tortillas
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
This recipe takes about 45 minutes to cook, so it is quick and easy. It is also beginner-friendly for people just starting their vegetarian journey.
Roasted Corn Tacos With Mango Slaw
The roasted corn tacos with mango slaw were created by Emilie Eats, the blogger Emilie provided the ingredients below.
- 2 ears of corn (or 1 1/2 cups, canned or frozen)
- 1 package Dr. Praeger’s Sensible Foods Tex Mex Veggie Burgers
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Optional toppings: vegan sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro
For the mango slaw:
- 1 1/2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup mango, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
This recipe takes about 25 minutes to complete and it is ready to serve for you and your family.
Grilled Zucchini Tacos
The grilled zucchini tacos were created by Spoon Fork Bacon, the bloggers Teri and Jenny provided the ingredients below.
- 2 zucchinis, tops, and bottoms removed and sliced into strips
- 2 yellow squash, tops and bottoms removed and sliced into strips
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Roasted tomatillo salsa
- 8 tomatillos, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, gently smashed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- ½ avocado
- ½ bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
Sweet corn succotash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 corn on the cob, kernels, and milk removed from the cob
- 18 4-5 inch corn tortillas
- ½ cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
These tacos take about 20 minutes to fully cook and are provided with loads of flavor.
Crispy Tofu Tacos With Lime Crema
The crispy tofu tacos with lime crema were created by Simply Quinoa, the blogger Alyssa Rimmer provided the ingredients below.
INGREDIENTS FOR TOFU TACOS
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour or flour of choice
- 2 cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 1/2 cups quinoa crispies from about 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro optional
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 batch vegan lime crema
INGREDIENTS FOR LIME CREMA
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for 6 hours*
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
This recipe will provide you with something quick, flavorful, and healthy.
Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos
The jackfruit carnitas tacos were created by fANNEtastic Food, the blogger Anne provided the ingredients below.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 [url]can jackfruit (20 ounces) in water or brine∞http://amzn.to/2oZ2Clo[/url]
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you like it!)
- olive oil and salt, as needed
- for serving: tortillas, beans, cabbage, radishes, cilantro, limes, whatever taco toppings you love!
This recipe has to be my favorite since I have not mastered how to make jackfruit yet, I'm excited to be able to try this recipe next week.
Before I went on my vegetarian journey I always had a love for tacos, it did not matter what kind of taco it was I would try it.
I just love the different flavors and spices that come with a taco and every taco place is not the same, each taco place has its own specialty.
On the other hand, I love being able to have a variety of different vegetarian recipes for tacos and I could only imagine how many more I have to try.
I know for a fact that the roasted cauliflower and chickpea taco was an amazing win because it provided amazing flavor, it was easy to cook, and I loved making the avocado salsa.
I have also realized that making vegetarian meals have become my favorite pass time that I rarely think about eating meat or going back to that type of lifestyle. I personally thought it would be difficult to keep my other eating habits at bay.
If you have ever been curious about starting your vegetarian or vegan journey, I would definitely suggest starting with taco recipes.