(Photo by Kastasha Harris/Pexels)
Everyone has their own definition of yoga and the benefits that yoga brings.
Some individuals may think yoga is just breathing or doing a bunch of silly poses. Yoga allows the mind, body, and spirit to connect.
Yoga is one of the many ways that help individuals vibrate higher and become more aligned.
There is more than one type of yoga style that can be practiced, such as Kundalini Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga, Iyengar Yoga, Bikram Yoga, Power Yoga, Restorative Yoga, Sivananda Yoga, Prenatal Yoga, Aerial Yoga, and Acro Yoga.
Each yoga style brings a balance to your body and benefits each chakra in a special way. It is all about what yoga style makes your feel comfortable and connected with your mind, body, and spirit.
Furthermore, we have seven main chakras which consist of crown, third eye, throat, heart, solar plexus, sacral and root.
There are many ways your body will give you hints on which chakra is unbalanced.
After reading this article you will be able to identify which chakra is unbalanced and which yoga pose can help keep your chakra aligned.
The crown chakra is located at the top of your head. This chakra is connected to your enlightenment and helps you vibrate higher.
When this chakra is balanced you will feel more connected to the universe, feel a sense of clarity, become more conscious and united.
You can tell if the crown chakra is blocked when you feel disconnected, constantly stuck in your own head, numb, disinterested or even going through the same routine daily without any spontaneity.
You can keep this chakra balanced by practicing meditation.
One of the yoga poses that can help keep your crown chakra balanced would be the tree pose. The tree pose allows all positive energy to flow through your body and it also helps provide balance to your body.
How to start tree pose:
- You can start by standing on your mat.
- Arms will be by your side.
- You will take an inhale and exhale.
- Your hands will slowly come heart to center.
- You will slowly shift your weight to your right leg.
- Then bring your left leg up.
- Your left foot will rest either below the knee or above the knee.
- Take a few breaths here and then switch sides.
Third Eye Chakra:
The third eye chakra is located between your eyebrows, this chakra is connected to your intuition which allows you to recognize the difference between what is real and what is fake or between what is genuine and what is a lie.
You can tell if the third eye chakra is blocked when you cannot trust your inner voice or unable to focus on learning something new.
You will also feel depressed or a little anxiety when this chakra is blocked. You can keep this chakra balanced by trying the child’s pose.
How to start child’s pose:
- For Child’s Pose you can start on all fours.
- Slowly lower your hips and sit back on your heels.
- If possible, bring your toes to touch.
- Extend your arms in front of you with your palms facing down.
- Allow your chest to rest in between your thighs,
- If possible, allow your forehead to touch your mat and take several breaths before coming out of the pose.
The throat chakra is located at your throat, this chakra is connected to your mouth, tongue, thyroid, jaw, and neck.
The throat chakra focuses on speaking your truth whether it is good or bad.
You can tell if your throat chakra is blocked when you do not speak up, you become timid or shy and you display a lack of communication. You can keep this chakra balanced by practicing cow pose.
How to start cow pose:
- You can start on all fours
- Legs hip distance a part with hands underneath the shoulders.
- As you take an inhale you will arch your back and drop your belly.
- Bringing your gaze forward.
The heart chakra is located at the middle of the chest, this chakra is connected to your heart. The heart chakra is where the physical and spiritual meet. This chakra focuses on giving and receiving love.
You can tell if your heart chakra is blocked when you feel jealousy, betrayal, feeling hatred towards yourself and a sense of disconnect. You can keep this chakra balanced by practicing upward facing dog.
How to start upward facing dog:
- You can begin in a plank pose, slowly lower down.
- As you get closer to the ground, inhale.
- Start to straighten yours arms.
- Tuck your toes.
- Open your chest forward and gaze upward.
- Make sure your shoulders are not near your ears, we want to prevent any stress.
Solar Plexus Chakra:
The solar plexus chakra is located by the rib cage, this chakra is connected to confidence and self-esteem. This chakra focuses on will power and how you feel about yourself.
You can tell if your solar plexus chakra is blocked when you feel indecisive, low self-esteem, or have the need to be in control. You can keep this chakra balanced by practicing warrior three pose.
How to start warrior three:
- You can begin in mountain pose.
- Start to breathe in and out.
- Start to press your weight into your left foot.
- Lift your right foot as high as your torso.
- Hands will come heart to center or stretch out.
- Make sure both legs and your core are engaged.
The sacral chakra is located at the pubic bone, this chakra is connected to our emotions and pleasures. When this chakra is balanced you will feel happy, energetic, and open to enjoying pleasure.
You can tell if this chakra is blocked when you feel disinterested, unstable, and depressed. You can keep this chakra balanced by practicing wide legged forward fold.
How to start wide legged forward fold:
- You can begin with your feet wide apart.
- Bend forward leading with your hips.
- Take a big inhale and exhale.
- Your hands can go behind your back or touching the mat.
The root chakra is located at the base of the spine, this chakra is connected to security or the foundation of our bodies. When this chakra is balanced you will feel grounded, whole, or complete.
You can tell if this chakra is blocked when you will anxiety, fear, or start to have nightmares. You can keep this chakra balanced by practicing easy pose.
How to start easy pose:
- You can start by sitting on your mat.
- Crossing your legs.
- Hands either in your lap or on your knee’s palms facing down or up.
- Taking a few deep breaths.
As you can see yoga and your chakras are strongly connected with each other, there many other yoga poses that can help balance your chakras’. As you build your yoga practice each session will become easier.