BY's Recipe: Moi-moi is a popular Nigerian side dish. It is easy to prepare and requires no cooking experience. It can be a simple meal for vegans and vegetarians.
Servings:6. Prep. Time: 15-30 minutes. Cook Time: 45-50 minutes. Total Cook Time: 55-80 minutes.
What you need
- Stove or oven,
- Aluminum foil or small cups,
- 80 minutes.
- 2-4 cups of bean flour (available in African or Asian supermarkets),
- Tomatoes sauce,
- Chopped onion,
- Any spices of your choice.
Moi- moi recipe.
- Use a large bowl,
- Add bean flour and a cup of water,
- Mix with one hand until it doesn’t stick to your hand,
- Add oil, tomatoes paste, salt and stir for a few seconds,
- Add a half cup of warm water and stir for about 2 minutes ((Not too thick or watery).
- Prepare a baking pan or pot,
- Cut the foil into 6-9 inches in length,
- Fold the way you like (see the photo above)
- Use a scooping spoon or a small cup and scoop the mixture into the folding foil,
- Repeat the process,
- Carefully add each one to the pot.
- Cover the pot and heat the pot for about 5 seconds,
- Add ¼ cup of water and cook for a few minutes,
- Add ½ cup of water and cook for about ten minutes.
- Add one cup of water and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add two cups of water and cook until the water is almost dry.
- Your Moi-moi is ready (see the main photo above).
Serve with soda, coffee, or water.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees,
- Follow step one above,
- Prepare a baking pan,
- Add the mixture,
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
Serve with fried or Jollof rice.
Cooking is an art.
Beans can be the least expensive source of protein. Be creative and use bean flour to create any dish you desire. Or hire a personal chef if you need more time or choose not to cook.
Feel free to share the recipe.