BY's Recipe: Vegetable or meat pie is a popular Nigerian side dish for Easter Sunday celebrations, weddings, naming ceremonies, Christmas, etc. It is easy to prepare and requires no cooking experience. Children under ten need adult supervision.
Servings: 12. Prep Time: 55-65 minutes. Bake Time: 45-55 minutes. Total cook Time: 100-120 minutes.
What you need
- Oven or microwave,
- 2 hours.
- 3 cups of flour,
- 1 Teaspoon of sugar or salt and baking soda,
- Chopped Spinach--(I used Spinach for most of my guests and beef for others).
- Meat or seafood,
- Baking oil.
- Chop the spinach and season with any spices of your choice,
- Set it aside.
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl,
- Add egg and melt butter( optional for vegans),
- Mix until dough is formed,
- Let it sit for about thirty minutes.
- Clean and set up the baking pan,
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees,
- Divide the dough into six or 12 small pieces,
- Make each part the shape you want--I made mine round ( the bottom of a medium or small bowl can work). See the photo below.
- Use a knife and cut off the excess,
- Take off the bowl and add seasoned veggies, meat, or seafood,
- Seal it with your fingers and design each with a fork or toothpick,
- Brush the top of each pie with oil (optional),
- Transfer them to the baking pan (see photo below).
- Bake for about 45-55 minutes,
- Your food is ready (see photo below).
- Serve with soda or wine.
- Follow steps 1-4,
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.
"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces—just good food from fresh ingredients." Julia Child
Happy Easter! What is on your plate this Sunday? Join the conversation below.