A mystery buyer could rescue a popular retail brand
There could be some good news for customers of the baby retail chain buybuy Baby.
The chain of stores sells clothing, strollers, and other items for use with infants and young children and is owned by retailer Bed Bath & Beyond, which has filed for bankruptcy.
Both chains were expected to cease operations and stores close by June 30. However, news has come through of two potential bidders looking to buy the brand.
According to CNBC:
Buy Buy Baby is drawing interest from at least two bidders as its parent company, Bed Bath & Beyond, works to auction off its assets and keep some form of its business alive.
One of the bidders is "Babylist, a direct-to-consumer baby registry website that wants to buy its trademark and domain."
While Babylist has come forward as a buyer, the identity of the second bidder has yet to be revealed.
Ankura Capital Advisors, an investment banking firm, is representing the second buyer who has advised that were they to be successful, "75% of the 120 buybuy baby stores across the nation will remain open." This provides hope that the retail chain could be saved.
Texas has sixteen buybuy Baby stores, some of which could remain open should this new acquisition be approved.
List of buybuy BABY stores in Texas
- 1451 West Pipeline Road, Hurst
- 4648 Sw Loop 820, Fort Worth
- 2901 East State Hwy 114, Southlake
- 2712 N. Central Expressway, Plano
- 2930 Preston Rd Suite 600, Frisco
- 8934 S. Broadway Ave., Ste 448, Tyler
- 13900 Dallas Parkway, Dallas
- 5001 183a Toll Road Suite I100, Cedar Park
- 5400 Brodie Lane, Suite 400, Austin
- 522 Northwest Loop 410, Suite 108, San Antonio
- 500 N Jackson Road #A2, Pharr
- 17355 Tomball Parkway Suite 1k, Houston
- 20416 Highway 59n, Humble
- 24600 Katy Fwy Suite 200, Katy
While there is some interest in acquiring the baby retail business, there do not appear to be any suitors for Bed Bath & Beyond at this stage.
As a result, all 360 Bed Bath & Beyond stores would close if no buyer came forward.
Would you like to see buybuy Baby stores remain open? Do you believe keeping brick-and-mortar stores open for those who don't like buying online is important? Would you like to see financial incentives offered to keep stores open and retail staff employed?
Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below and share this article with others so more people can join the discussion.