How many of you are criminals without even knowing about it? Jacksonville had a wide range of crazy laws that could mean that Jacksonville residents were breaking the law without even being aware of it.
Each city and state across the USA is home to some bizarre laws, and Jacksonville is no exception. In fact, in July 2019, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, the mascot for the Miami Marlins Double-A affiliate, attempted to break a weird law every inning.
So in the interest of helping the dear residents of Jacksonville, below are 11 super weird Jacksonville laws you have to see to believe!
1. Is your pet pig pregnant? If so, you better make sure they are free-range. It is against the law to keep a pregnant pig confined in a page.
2. In Jacksonville and across all of Flordia, all public doors must open inward.
3. If you are walking your elephant in Jacksonville and need to tie it up to a parking meter to do some shopping, you need to pay for parking, just like you would for a vehicle. So maybe it's better to leave the elephant at home?
4. It is illegal for a man to wear a strapless formal gown in public—no word on whether a more informal gown is allowed.
5. I think many teens are breaking the law in Jacksonville as it is illegal to skateboard without a license. Thankfully this law is ignored by police.
6. It is illegal to commit an unnatural act with another person. The law defines this as: "A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
7. It is illegal in Florida for an unmarried woman to parachute on a Sunday. This seems an oddly specific law. Why Sunday? Why are married women allowed? I have so many questions about this one!
8. Across the whole state, it is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit. So all you wannabe American Idol contestants put away the bikini and put on some clothes.
9. Enjoy a snooze when you are under a hair dryer at the salon? Better grab a coffee then, as women may be fined for falling asleep under a hairdryer. The salon owner can also be fined. Maybe if they had more recent magazines to read, their customers wouldn't fall asleep!
10. If you plant a flower in a pot without a drainage hole, then according to Florida law, you have created a public nuisance.
11. It is illegal to steal a horse. That law actually makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the penalty. Anyone found guilty of horse theft can sentence to death by hanging. It seems a bit extreme!
Thankfully sometimes common sense prevails with laws. For example, in 2013, Florida accidentally banned all computers and smartphones due to a poorly worded Internet cafe ban. Thankfully that was repealed - who could live without their smartphone!
At least Jacksonville doesn't have the craziest laws in Florida. Other cities in Florida have even stranger laws. For example, in Pinecrest, residents need to get a permit to operate their own burglar alarms. It is illegal to exchange gossip in Oakland, and in Tampa Bay, it is illegal to eat cottage cheese after 6 pm on a Thursday!
So Jacksonville readers- how many of the 11 laws above have you broken? Have you left your elephant tied to a parking meter and not paid? Or perhaps a single woman parachuted on a Sunday.
Let us know in the comments below.