I was coming to New Orleans to watch the New Orleans Saints for the first time live. I was super excited to visit NOLA for the first time. My wife went to LSU, but I had never been to New Orleans or, in fact, anywhere in Lousiana.
So as we prepared for our trip, I was doing the usual touristy research. What bars to visits, things to do in New Orleans, the history of voodoo in New Orleans, and of course, a visit to the famous Bourbon Street. I had heard so much about it and the almost anything goes attitude that prevails. But just to be sure, I decided to look at what is legal and what's illegal in New Orleans.
And this uncovered a range of weird and bizarre New Orleans laws that I am willing to bet many of you have never heard of. So in the interest of assisting New Orleans residents, here are 11 bizarre New Orleans laws I bet you didn't know.
1. Anyone who has a pet hog, please note that you need to cook their food before feeding them, even if it is garbage. Mmm, cooked garbage. (Jefferson Parish Sec. 7-187)
2. This one is kind of icky, but when you are at the Mardis Gras Parade, you can not throw condoms. (New Orleans Sec. 34-28)
3. And on the topic of parades, just as you have to keep your condoms at home, you should leave your reptiles behind as well. It is illegal to bring a reptile within 200 feet of a parade. (New Orleans Sec. 43-21)
4. Ok- this one makes me feel sick. It is illegal to hold any rituals that involve the ingestion of blood, urine, or fecal matter (RS 14:107.1). How many people were doing this that they required a law to prohibit it?
5. It is illegal for a taxi driver to make love in their taxi's front seat during a work shift. As soon as they clock off, however, they are allowed to. So I guess the tip here is to always sit in the back if you are catching a taxi in New Orleans!
6. Playing Truth or Dare? If so, then do not dare anyone to go onto railroad tracks that another party owns- t's illegal!
7. It's illegal to chase fish in a New Orleans city park. I have to ask- who the hell is chasing fish? It seems an odd thing to do.
8. Another one for the How Did This Become a Thing? Section. In New Orleans, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless her husband is waving a flag in front of it.
9. If you are hungry and heading to a wake, make sure you eat; stop by a Popeyes first as it is illegal to eat more than three sandwiches at a wake. Were there a lot of freeloaders attending wakes and eating all the food?
10. Goatees are actually illegal unless you pay for a special license fee first. So if you want to show off your semi hipster look proudly, get a license first.
11. Perhaps the most surprising, considering that New Orleans is famous for voodoo, is the fact it is actually illegal to practice voodoo in the city limits. It doesn't appear that this is actually policed at all.
These are all a little strange, but nothing in New Orleans comes close to the law that had to be enforced in Sulphur, Louisana. In this town, they had to bring in a law making it illegal to make love with a cow.
And I thought Bourbon Street was crazy!