As a writer, I spend a lot of time researching things on the internet. And across my time, I find a lot of weird and random stuff. I think things must be urban legends or false until I dig further and find out they are true.
So when I needed to write a story about Los Angeles, I thought this is the perfect time to bring some of this useless knowledge to Newsbreak readers. I mean, we all know the usual facts about Los Angeles- what I am sure you are dying to know is the strange stuff.
And so, with that little introduction, let me tell you 21 weird and wonder things about Los Angeles you probably didn't know. In fact, I am willing to bet you know less than half of these.
1. It is illegal to lick a toad in Los Angeles. They had to enact this law when people learned that the poison that some toads secrete could make you high. I wonder who the person to lick a toad and try was?
2. The original first name for LA was an absolute tongue twister- El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula which means "The town of our lady queen of the angels on the Porciúncula River”. Thankfully they shortened it to Los Angeles.
3. You are not allowed to drive more than 2,000 sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time. So if you have 2001 sheep - it means you need to make two trips!
4. If you are a dog breeder, you better keep the dogs away from church. Allowing two dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church could land you a $500 fine and up to six months in prison.
5. There are plenty of great tourist sites in Los Angeles. Including apparently the LA Coroners Office, which has a gift shop. Not sure how many people going to the coroner's office are looking for a souvenir.
6. Beverly Hills is home to the rich and famous now. But before all the luxury and designer shops, it was known for its lima beans. Yep, Beverly Hills was originally a lima bean ranch.
7. Many think San Fransisco has Los Angeles covered for steep streets, but it's not the case. Eldred Street in Highland Park is the steepest street in California, with a 33-percent grade in elevation.
8. As a father of twins, this one makes me sad. It is illegal for two babies to bathe at the same time in the same bathtub. I swear, I didn't know I was breaking the law!
9. While on the topic of baths, it is illegal to bath in someone else’s bathwater. Why would you want to bathe in someone else's bathwater? Ugh, gross!
9. You are not allowed to ride your bicycle in a swimming pool. In my opinion if you can manage to ride a bicycle in a pool of water, then I say you should be allowed.
10. It’s illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent. Surely it should be illegal to beat your wife with any size belt?
11. You can not stage a bullfight in your backyard. How many people were hosting bullfights that the City of Los Angeles thought that it required a law?
So, how many of these things did you already know? If you knew any more than half of these facts already, I give you an A+ for your Weird Los Angeles Info pop exam.