Vertical lip lines, nasolabial folds, and mesolabial folds are the three most prevalent forms of lines that develop around the mouth area. Due to the loss of soft tissue and fat, the volume of the face decreases, resulting in these folds. As we become older, our skin's quality tends to decline generally.
From the age of 20, the skin gradually loses its structure and firmness. From the age of 30, these natural aging processes become noticeable in the form of facial wrinkles, such as wrinkles around the mouth, the development of which is also favored by natural facial expressions. This article explains why wrinkles form around the mouth, what types of mouth wrinkles there are and what you can do to reduce their severity and slow down the natural aging processes.
Symptoms of mouth wrinkles
Wrinkles around the mouth are caused by the age-related breakdown of collagen and hyaluronic acid in the deeper layers of the skin, which are responsible for the firmness and plump appearance of youthful skin. Since the skin's own structural framework loses stability due to the decreasing collagen formation, wrinkles form in the mouth area, wrinkles under the eyes or even forehead wrinkles. Dryness or creases appear because mature skin is less able to store moisture in its cells and the activity of the sebaceous glands decreases. Dry skin is therefore a typical side effect of natural skin aging and sensitive skin also occurs more frequently with age, as the skin's resistance decreases.
Sagging skin on the mouth corners is caused by a set of muscles in the jaw called depressor anguli oris (DAO). These muscles run from the corners of the lips down to the chin and can create a tired and aged appearance for most.
It is not only the change in skin metabolism that plays a role in the formation of wrinkles. Facial expressions also promote the formation of wrinkles, because certain, frequently repeated movement patterns of the facial muscles, such as raising the eyebrows or pursing the lips, e.g. B. when smoking, leave visible traces in old age.Wrinkles that form around the mouth are also known as perioral folds. They are caused by the mimic strain on the facial muscles and are the result of the natural aging process of the skin. Lines and wrinkles in the mouth area can quickly make the facial expression appear tense, angry, grumpy or sad, but above all the face looks older overall, which is why younger people in particular are bothered by mouth folds, which can also develop prematurely as a result of pronounced facial expressions.
Not all wrinkles are the same, there are different types:
- fine lines or wrinkles above the upper lip (puckered or pleated lines)
- perioral folds that radiate around the mouth ("smoker's lines")
- Wrinkles in the corners of the mouth that make them appear longer and pulled down (mentolabial or marionette lines)
- more or less pronounced transverse crease between lower lip and chin
- small, pinpoint-like indentations of the skin in the chin area (also called "paving stone relief" or "strawberry chin")
- Loss of volume in the upper and lower lip
Special care – This helps with wrinkles around the mouth
As the skin becomes thinner over time and loses its elasticity, sooner or later wrinkles will naturally form. However, a healthy lifestyle can prevent premature skin aging – as can consistent sun protection and targeted care with anti-aging ingredients.
Dos & Don'ts for mouth wrinkles:
- Healthy nutrition - a balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables, good fats with a high proportion of polyunsaturated fatty acids, high-quality protein from legumes, milk and soy products and little animal fat and refined sugar ensures that the skin is optimally supplied with nutrients.
- Drink a lot - not only metabolism and circulation, but also the skin's own moisture balance benefit from an adequate supply of liquids.
- Facial exercises and massages stimulate the formation of collagen and thus prevent wrinkles from forming or developing too quickly.
- Moisturizing creams ensure smooth cell metabolism and optimize the skin's ability to regenerate.
- Use a gentle peeling regularly – dead skin cells are removed, the complexion appears more even and firmer and cell activity is stimulated.
- Excessive alcohol consumption – Alcohol deprives the body of water and the skin the necessary moisture, which makes it look plump and taut.
- Smoking – nicotine is not only poisonous for skin cells, the increased contraction of the lips when puffing on a cigarette also promotes the development of perioral wrinkles.
- Strong exposure to the sun – UV light damages the structure-giving skin cells and not only promotes skin aging but also the risk of skin cancer.
- Too little sleep – at night the skin's own regeneration processes run at full speed, harmful molecular compounds (free radicals) are broken down and the smallest structural damage to the skin is repaired.
Secret tip against premature wrinkling
Long, good sleep is not to be underestimated! Stress and lack of sleep can leave clear marks on the skin. To make us more resilient to stress, the body releases cortisol. However, a long-term elevated cortisol level has a negative effect on the skin; inflammation-causing substances are formed, sebum production increases and pimples can develop. Cortisol also attacks the skin's barrier function, causing it to lose more moisture and becoming dry and dull in the long term, despite the initially increased sebum production. Irritation, inflammation, or redness are often the result. Due to an increase in cortisol, substances are also formed that attack the collagen structure of the skin and cause it to age prematurely.Anti-aging skin care products with effective ingredients such as hyaluron, vitamin C or E can reduce mouth wrinkles, but also active ingredients such as silica, uric acid (urea), honey, almond or olive oil and extracts from plants and herbs such as pomegranate and green tea or aloe vera are suitable for treating expression lines on the mouth.
- is rich in vitamins C and E, potassium, selenium, copper, zinc and beta-carotene.
- contains natural polyphenols that inhibit inflammation and slow down the aging process.
- has antioxidant properties and renders cell-damaging free radicals harmless.
- leaves the complexion looking fresh and radiant.
- is rich in silicon, which supports collagen formation.
- strengthens the natural skin functions and the pH value of the skin.
- optimizes the skin's own moisture balance.
- acts as a radical scavenger and slows down the natural aging process of the skin.
- improves skin elasticity and smoothes its surface.
- refreshed, remineralized and revitalized.
- is anti-inflammatory and promotes regeneration.
A derivative of vitamin A, retinol has been around for decades and has been a go-to skin care solution for dermatologists -- some might even say the gold standard. It's used for all sorts of skin remedies, including fighting acne, reducing wrinkles, reversing sun damage, shrinking pores -- all the good stuff.
One of the best non invasive treatments for wrinkles around the mouth is night cream formulated with retinol, as it works alongside the skin's natural production of collagen.
Unfortunately, no cream can immediately smooth existing wrinkles. The best prescription for ugly lines around the mouth is a complete menu consisting of daily sun protection, a healthy lifestyle and products with effective ingredients.
You can receive HA treatment
You require a doctor with knowledge of hyaluronic acid fillers. This material is created naturally by your cells. The body uses hyaluronic acid to fill in the spaces between the collagen cells in the body. Additionally, it's unlikely to have a negative impact because it's already existing in your skin.Lip fine lines can be less prominent after receiving lip filler injections from a qualified medical professional. Lip fillers can significantly reduce the appearance of lip lines by minimizing muscle activity when applied in little amounts around the edges of the lines.
HA is particularly helpful for smile lines and perioral rhytids, or "smoker's lines," which run vertically around the mouth area. Lip fillers don't last forever. Depending on your metabolism, they often last 12 to 18 months before gradually wearing off. But for your desired volume to be maintained, you might require regular touch-up procedures.
To be clear, as stand January 2023: You can't permanently get rid of lip lines. But some treatments can reduce or temporarily improve mouth and lip wrinkles.
Comments / 2