A man thought his foot problem was due to new sandals but doctors found something alive inside toe

Anita Durairaj
Image for representation onlyPhoto byÂngela Cristina Pereira RibeiroonUnsplash

The New York Post reports a rather unusual medical incident that affected a British man and his wife who celebrated their wedding anniversary in France.

The incident originally reported by the BBC News involved a couple, Colin Blake and his wife, traveling on a cruise to France.

During the cruise, Blake woke up to find his toe had become purple. When he visited the doctor on board, he was told he had been bitten by a Peruvian wolf spider.

He had been totally unaware that he had been bitten and thought it was his new sandals.

Doctors had to treat his toe and they found the spider had laid eggs in his toe. The eggs were removed.

However, four weeks after the incident, Blake found there was still something in his foot that had not been completely removed. An egg had hatched inside his toe resulting in a baby wolf spider that was trying to eat its way out.

Blake was treated with antibiotics to kill the spider and doctors were finally able to remove it.

The venom of the Peruvian wolf spider is not lethal to humans.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 1

Published by

Trained with a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Cincinnati, I write unique and interesting articles focused on science, history, and current events.


More from Anita Durairaj

Comments / 0