A doctor has a warning for parents after a staple item in the pantry almost killed a young baby

Anita Durairaj
Image for representation onlyPhoto byLuisa BrimbleonUnsplash

Yahoo News reports a frightening incident for the parents of a young baby.

A two-month-old baby boy seemed to be healthy and was born with no problems. However, his parents noted that he suddenly stopped feeding.

In addition, the baby started experiencing seizures, a chest infection, and difficulty breathing.

Medical tests were run but there was no improvement and doctors suggested that the boy would need end-of-life care.

Then, they discovered traces of Clostridium botulinum in the boy's poo. Doctors found that the boy's stomach also contained traces of honey. They had discovered the problem.

The parents of the boy had fed him honey not realizing that it should not be given to children under 12 months.

Young babies do not have a well-developed gut and honey contains spores of bacteria which can germinate and result in infant botulism.

Fortunately, once the problem was diagnosed, the child made a full recovery with the right treatment plan.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 2

Published by

Trained with a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Cincinnati, I write unique and interesting articles focused on science, history, and current events.


More from Anita Durairaj

Comments / 0