CLEVELAND — Cleveland MetroHealth Cancer Center will be hosting the 2021 Survivorship Symposium Art, Music, Meditation and Exercise to Cope with Cancer: During and After Treatment.
For people with cancer, treatment completion can be both distressing and exhilarating. While they may be happy to have completed treatment, they might also be worried that the debilitating disease might come back at some point.
Uncover the stories of people with cancer during and after treatment and the familiar feelings associated with it, and learn useful exercises and mediation to cope with these experiences.
This free virtual event is designed to bring together and connect cancer survivors and their families. Please do note that registration is required to attend.
The schedule on Thursday, June 10, will be as follows:
12:00 p.m. to 12:03 p.m. - Welcome Speech
- Dr. Benjamin Li, Division Director of the MetroHealth Cancer Center
12:04-12:20 p.m. — Exercise
- Dr. Yevgeniya Dvorkin Wininger, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, MetroHealth
- A brief overview of each subject
- American College of Sports Medicine's exercise prescription
- Discuss hurdles to exercise prescription (neuropathy, cardiac history, lymphedema, pelvic floor impairments) and resources to overcome them.
- Link to low impact, low-intensity exercises
12:21 p.m. – 12:46 p.m. - Nutrition and Cancer
- Importance during/after treatment by Karri Black, MetroHealth Nutritionist
- Cooking demonstration by Stephanie Hopkins, The Gathering Place Nutritionist
12:47-1:34 p.m. – Art and Music
- Importance of music/art as therapy
- Music – Ruby Chen, MetroHealth Music Therapist
- Creating Art at home – Ashleigh Brooks, MA, MetroHealth Art Therapist
1:35-1:55 p.m. - Meditation
- Susan Marinac, MSSA, LISW-S, MT-BC from The Gathering Place
- Discussing importance; meditation vs. guided imagery, sleep
- Guided imagery; learning about the application for sleep/meditation
To join the 2021 Cancer Survivorship Symposium, please visit the registration page on: https://bit.ly/3yN57JE. If you have questions or wish to register by phone, please call 216-778-855.