Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh mom warns about kids consuming hand sanitizer: “She collapsed from alcohol poisoning”

Amy Christie

A concerned mother has decided to speak out about the dangers of alcohol-based sanitizers for kids. Unfortunately, young children can be tempted to consume them, and her daughter had to be taken to the hospital after ingesting 6 ounces of the liquid, as The Blaze reports.

What are the details?

The child was in kindergarten and was just going to her second day of school when her mother got an alarming call telling her she had collapsed. The incident took place at Moon Township area's J.H. Brooks Elementary school, as the outlet points out.

The little girl, whose identity hasn’t been released, had set up her school supplies and her new bottle of hand sanitizer in her desk, as instructed by the administrators. This happened right before she felt sick.

“The principal called and said to get to the school immediately. She was walking a little wobbly down the hall. By the time they got to the classroom, to the lunchroom, she fell and couldn't sit up straight,” the mother recalled.

The little girl was transported to the hospital immediately and there it was determined she had an alcohol level of .23. The kindergartener was diagnosed with alcohol poisoning.

“She was completely out of it. I tried to wake her, and she opened her eyes briefly and she looked at me, but it was almost as if she looked straight through me. And she started to cry and then she laid back down. I was very scared. I had no idea. The medic didn't have any idea, either” the mother added.

A few hours later the hospital staff determined that the child had felt sick because she had drunk six ounces of hand sanitizer. The product contained 70% alcohol.

“This class, each student has their own sanitizer pump bottle at their desk with their name on it for their personal use. My daughter had consumed half of that bottle. She consumed six ounces of 70% alcohol,” the mother explained.

The little girl has fully recovered but this incident brings out the risks for students and why supervision is very important for younger children.

“The health and wellness of our students is a priority. The district provides hand-sanitizing stations that are available in each of our schools. In addition, students are permitted to have hand sanitizers in their desks or backpack. However, students are not required to keep it in their desk or backpack, particularly if a parent/guardian does not want them to have it,” Superintendent Barry Balaski stated about the incident, pointing out that parents are responsible for a child’s choice to use the hand-sanitizing stations or bring personal sanitizer.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 0

Published by

Amy Christie is a passionate writer and journalist, always striving to bring out the positive and create meaningful connections.

Dallas, TX
31943 followers

More from Amy Christie

Comments / 0