A project named Climate Central has produced a report on the growing threats due to global warming. In this report, it has been said about the sinking of these 9 cities. Let us know which cities are being told in danger of drowning in this report. Due to global warming, many cities of the world will be submerged by 2050 and 2100. But these 9 cities of the world are most at risk in the next 9 years, which may be submerged due to sea level and floods.
1. Amsterdam, The Netherlands :- The capital of the Netherlands, cities such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Hogue are at low altitudes. They are close to the North Sea. Dutch countries are famous all over the world for their technology to prevent floods. But seeing the way the sea level is rising, it does not seem that some beautiful cities of this country will survive. No dam, barrier, floodgate will be able to save them. But if their technology is improved or upgraded further, then cities can be saved for some time.
2. Basra, Iraq (Basra, Iraq):- The main port city of Iraq is situated on the banks of a large river named Basra Shat al-Arab. It joins the Gulf of Paras in the Shat al-Arab River. The city is connected to the bay through several canals and backwater channels. Because of this, there is also a very swampy area around this city. This city is in danger if the sea level rises. The biggest problem is that Basra continues to struggle with water-borne diseases. If there was a flood, this city could suffer a lot. It may even be off the map.
3. New Orleans, USA (New Orleans, USA) :- There is a network of canals and water branches in the middle of the city of New Orleans, USA. This net protects this city from floods. To the north is Lake Maurepas, to the south by Lake Salvador and a small lake. If this safety net is not there, then there will be great destruction in New Orleans, but despite this, if the sea level rises rapidly then this city is in danger. The city's Biloxi and Jean Lafitte Wildlife Preserves are at high risk. This is only at the water level. If the water level rises even a little, they will drown.
4. Venice, Italy (Venice, Italy):- The city of Venice in Italy is built in the middle of the water. Every year there is a flood here due to high tide. There are two types of danger in this city. First, the sea level rises and secondly, this city is drowning itself. It is sinking 2 millimeters every year. Like New Orleans, technology has been put in place to prevent floods in Venice. Floodproofing arrangements have been put in place, despite this, floods occur every year. If the sea level rises rapidly, then by 2030 this city will be submerged underwater. Which will be difficult to handle.
5. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam):- This city situated in the eastern part of Vietnam is completely flat. Its height above sea level is not much. This is a marshy land named Thu Thiem. The biggest threat to it is from the Mekong Delta. The water level of this delta is continuously rising. Scientists fear that Ho Chi Minh City will be submerged underwater by 2030. This city can also be submerged underwater like Venice and New Orleans.
6. Kolkata, India (Kolkata, India) :- The land in and around Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal, India, has been considered a lot of fertilizer for centuries, but if you look at the map of Climate Central, then the risk of sea-level rise for this city is also very high. Is more. Like Ho Chi Minh City, this city also suffers from the problem of monsoon rains and high tide. Here floods occur during the rainy season. Rainwater does not enter the ground. The area with a large delta located near it can prove to be dangerous for it.
7. Bangkok, Thailand (Bangkok, Thailand) :- The city of Bangkok, which is famous for tourism in Thailand, is the most affected by global warming. The capital of Thailand is only 1.5 meters above sea level. such as the city of Venice. Like Venice, it is sinking by 2 to 3 centimeters every year. This whole city is built on sandy soil. By the year 2030, its coastal areas Tha Kham and Samut Prakan could be completely submerged underwater. Also, the International Airport of this city is located in Suvarnabhumi.
8. Georgetown, Guyana (Georgetown, Guyana):- The capital of Guyana, Georgetown has built walls around it to avoid sea floods. On one side there is a sea area of about 400 km long. Where very strong waves rise. The height of its banks ranges from 0.5 meters to one meter. But this height does not matter at high tide. Seawater crosses the walls and enters the city. 90 percent of the population of Guyana lives near the seashores. If this country is to save Georgetown and other coastal areas, it will have to raise its walls higher.
9. Savannah, USA (Savannah, USA):- The city of Savannah, located in Georgia, USA, is the main of the Hurricane. Many hurricanes come here every year. This area, which suffers from natural calamities every year, is surrounded by sea from all sides. Inside the city is the Savannah River to the north and the Ogichi River to the south, due to which it has a very swampy area around it. This means that if there is always a risk of hurricanes and flash floods. It will take 2050 for this city to be completely submerged, but by 2030 there will be a lot of disasters.
I hope you liked this article. How helpful this article is for you, please tell by comments. If you have any suggestions or would like to say anything else on this subject, you are welcome. Please like and share to stay connected. Thank you.