PLYMOUTH, MN - Missions Inc. started its program by giving shelter for homeless and unemployed people in St. James Hotel and Mission in the Gateway district of downtown, back in 1895. The organization started including a working farm on the north shore of Medicine Lake in Plymouth, Minnesota, in 1927 and reached its most significant number of residents.
Within two decades, the organization began its first chemical dependency treatment programs leading to the emerging Alcoholics Anonymous movement. Missions, Inc. took a critical role in Minneapolis chemical dependency treatment development but unfortunately stopped its operation in the area in 1960.
Four years after the discontinuation, the organization is pioneering the first state's skilled-care nursing facility for men. Moreover, the first detoxification center followed in 1978. Another expansion occurred in 1980 to the Northwest of Hennepin County to provide battered women and their children service accompanied by its first women's recovery transitional housing program initiatives in Ramsey County.
Nowadays, Missions Inc. has evolved into a non-profit organization providing chemical health, domestic violence, and long-term care services for more than 3,000 people every year. It is located at three sites in Plymouth, and St. Paul, MN, with its main campus settled on the north shore of Medicine Lake to help people heal and gain new strength.
Mission Inc., is supported by 15 experts guiding the organization with nearly 200 full-time and part-time staff assisted by hundreds of volunteers. However, the most critical work is done by the residents for being brave to face all the challenges ahead, take control of their lives, and find new hope in the future.
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.