MINNEAPOLIS, MN — The City of Minneapolis participates in Youth Violence Prevention Week from June 12 to June 19 with a lineup of events.
The week aims to raise awareness regarding youth violence, identify strategies to combat this public health epidemic, and promote the positive roles young people and adults can play in creating safer communities and schools.
Previously, the Youth Violence Prevention Week took place in April, but due to COVID-19, the city has decided to delay the in-person events to this June. The event will feature activities and talks around youth violence and prevention.
Their previous events on June 12-15 were:
- BBQ & Basketball hosted by Change Starts with Community
- Community Breakfast hosted by Project Jamar Saving Me
- Hope and Healing Fest hosted by Restoration, Inc.
- Wade In The Water hosted by Voice of Culture
- Sip & Paint hosted by Webber Camden
- BBQ, Interactive Discussion hosted by Doorstep Foundation
- Juneteenth Events hosted by Voice of Culture
- 3v3 Basketball Tournament hosted by Whittier Par
The upcoming activities are:
1. Wednesday, June 16:
- Know Your Rights hosted by Legal Rights Center at Lake Nokomis, 4955 West Lake Nokomis from 3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Spoken Word & Art w/food hosted by Me & My Sis-Stirs at Worldwide Outreach for Christ Church, 3808 Chicago Ave. S. from 1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- 3v3 Basketball Tournament hosted by Webber Camden at Webber Park, 4300 Webber Parkway, from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
2. Thursday, June 17
- Juneteenth hosted by Voice of Culture at Hennepin County Libraries, Virtual Event at 7 p.m
3. Friday, June 18
- Spoken-word, Music event hosted by House of Conversion at Powderhorn Park from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
4. Saturday, June 19
- Teen March & Rally hosted by Project Jamar Saving Me at Webber Park, 4300 Webber Parkway, from 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- 1 Way Day hosted by The Man Up Club at 1 Way Entertainment Studio, 2954 Rice Street, Roseville, from 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
For more information, visit https://www.minneapolismn.gov/news/2021/june/minneapolis-youth-violence-prevention-week-/