Raise your hand if you're a burnt-out mama. 🙋♀️ Being a mom is one of the most rewarding but challenging jobs in the world. It is demanding, time-consuming, and exhausting. But it’s also a job that is filled with immense joy and satisfaction. I often say that mama is the role of a lifetime.
And we know that it’s so important for us moms to take a little time out of our busy day to make time for ourselves. One way to do this is to find a hobby. This gives you a break from your everyday duties and also provides you with a sense of satisfaction and joy.
Let's discuss why moms need a hobby and the benefits of having one! We'll also provide ideas for fun and fulfilling hobbies and tips for making time for your hobby.
Check out A Daily Dose of Mom for more tips so you can mom smarter, not harder!
Why Moms Need a Hobby
As a mom, you likely have many responsibilities and commitments. And this can seem overwhelming at times. Between [budgeting], [trying to keep the house clean with kids], and even [grocery shopping with a baby in tow], it can often feel like your life is a never-ending to-do list.
That’s why it’s so important for us moms to take time for ourselves! And solely for you! Having a hobby is a great way to do this. It can provide a much-needed break from the daily mom grind and can even provide an outlet for stress relief.
Having a hobby can also help to boost your mental well-being. Studies show that engaging in activities that make you happy can reduce stress and anxiety and can even improve your overall mood.
Additionally, having a hobby can help you to develop new skills and can even provide a sense of purpose. So if you’re a mom looking for a way to take a break and take care of yourself, finding a hobby may be just what you need.
Benefits of Having a Hobby
Having a hobby can provide a wide range of benefits for moms. Here are just a few of the benefits of having a hobby:
- It provides an outlet for stress relief and relaxation. Hobbies can provide a much-needed break from the daily grind and can reduce stress and anxiety.
- It can boost your mental well-being. Studies show that engaging in activities that make you happy can lead to improved mental health.
- It can help to build confidence and self-esteem. Taking on a new hobby can boost your confidence and self-esteem as you learn new skills and gain new knowledge.
- It can help to provide a sense of purpose. Having a hobby can help to give you a sense of purpose and can help to keep you motivated and focused.
- It can help to foster creativity. Having a hobby can provide an outlet for creative expression and can help to foster creative thinking.
Tips for Making Time for Your Hobby
As a busy mom, it can often feel like there’s never enough time in the day. And that's not even adding in a hobby! That’s why it’s important to make time for yourself and your hobby. Here are a few tips to help you make time for your hobby:
- Schedule it in. Just like you would with doctor's appointments or play dates, make time for your hobby by scheduling it in your calendar.
- Set realistic expectations. Don’t expect to be able to dedicate hours to your hobby each day. Start small and set realistic goals for yourself.
- Make use of your free time. Take advantage of any free time you have - such as while the kids are at school or while they’re sleeping - to work on your hobby.
- Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your partner or family members. Having someone else take care of the kids for an hour or two can give you the time you need to focus on your hobby.
- Don’t be afraid to say no. Don’t feel obligated to say yes to every invitation or request. Saying no to nonessential activities can give you the time you need to focus on your hobby.
Related Post: Taking Gorgeous Photos of Your Kids – With Your Phone!
Ideas for Fun and Fulfilling Hobbies for Moms
Now that you know why moms need a hobby and the benefits of having one, let’s take a look at some fun and fulfilling hobbies for moms. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Crafting and DIY Hobbies for Moms
Crafting and DIY projects can be a great way to get creative and express yourself. Whether you’re making jewelry, decorating a room, or creating a new piece of furniture, crafting and DIY projects can provide a great outlet for creative expression.
- Candle Making
- Cross Stitching
- Flower Arranging
- Foil Embossing
- Glass Etching
- Needle Felting
- Paper Quilling
- [Photography] - add in link
- Soap Making
- Watercolor Painting
Outdoor Hobbies for Moms
Outdoor hobbies are a great way to get some fresh air and exercise. Whether you’re gardening, hiking, or bird watching, being outside can be calming and energizing at the same time.
- Bird Watching
- Hiking/Trail Walking
- Horseback Riding
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
Indoor Hobbies for Moms
If you’re looking for an indoor hobby, there are plenty of options to choose from. From reading to baking to playing board games, there are plenty of ways to stay busy without ever having to leave the house. This is perfect for making time for yourself during naptime!
- Board Games
- Coloring & Adult Coloring Books
- Crossword Puzzles & Word Games
- Jewelry Making
- Reading & Book Clubs
- Video Games
Making Time for Yourself as a Mom with a Hobby
As a mom, it’s so important to take time for yourself and find a hobby that makes you happy. Having a hobby can provide an outlet for stress relief and can even help to boost your mental well-being. Additionally, it can build confidence and provide a sense of purpose while you gain new skills!
So if you’re a mom looking for a way to take a break and take care of yourself, finding a hobby may be just what you need. But having a hobby doesn't have to be an all-consuming endeavor. By finding a few minutes each day to work on your hobby, you can increase your overall morale, feel more motivated, and develop a new skill.
Peruse this list of 50 hobbies that you can start today, choose one, and have fun! Which hobby is catching your eye?
Comments / 0